The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best way to free space on disc.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by leftie, Feb 2, 2007.

1. leftie

leftie Well-Known Member

Hi my device /dev/sda8 mounted on /home is 100% full. What is the best way to free space on here.
    Could this be where the forums store their attachments ? if so would it be best to get them to clear out their files. Maybe i am talking rot, dunno.:confused:

Any help here would be really appreciated, thanks.

2. viptexting

viptexting Well-Known Member

/home is by default where all your websites sit, so yes attachments from a forum would be there somewhere. You may want to consider moving some of your sites to a different partition or hard drive.

3. leftie

leftie Well-Known Member

Thanks for your quick reply. I'll get the owners to clear out their attachments. As for moving some of them to a different partition, well the truth is i don't know how to do it. I have been left with a dedicated server by the owner who has been taken ill months back, i can do the easy stuff such as managing accounts and the like but nothing too technical.
    So i guess you will be hearing a lot more from me.:)

4. viptexting

viptexting Well-Known Member

You can change the default home directory in Basic cPanel/WHM Setup, how sure how this would effect existing accounts, but I would assume any new accounts you could create on a new partition. You would probably need to get additional hard drive(s) added to the server though for this.

You could look at the account quota's you may be able to set limits on certain accounts so it is the account that runs out of space before the server does Account Information -> List Accounts shows you a summary of all the accounts on the server, their disk usage and quotas.

5. leftie

leftie Well-Known Member

Thanks for this info.:)

6. Silver_2000

Silver_2000 Well-Known Member

7. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

Either way you are going to need space. The best move right now, if you have no junk to delete is to get a second drive installed asap. Have the DC create a home2 partition for you and migrate a few accounts over for breathing room incase you are oversold on space. Afterward, any new accounts are automatically created on the home partition with the most space available at that time.