The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best way to migrate from old server to new server?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by electric, Nov 5, 2010.

1. electric

electric Well-Known Member

Hello,

I'm sure there are lots of folks here who have migrated from one "full" cpanel server to another...

Is there a recommended process for this? Does cpanel staff have any suggestions or recommendations?

Our server has lots of IPs in use (by resellers for their shared IP as well as private nameservers), ssl certs, etc...

Thanks!

2. garrettp

garrettp Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Assuming the cPanel account transfer wizard (or manual account packaging) isn't an option, I typically use one of two methods:

• Direct block copy via dd piped over netcat/SSH for an exact copy (takes longer but is straightforward and usually hassle-free)
    • Rsync copy of cPanel account data (requires various "fixer" scripts to be run to update config files, but otherwise is also straightforward)

Couple of guides I have:

Using DD Over Netcat vs SSH [Wiki]

How To Restore a cPanel Server [Wiki]

3. electric

electric Well-Known Member

Is there an advantage or disadvantage to using the cpanel account transfer wizard?

Perhaps it would be best to use the transfer wizard and do "batches" of transfers over a few days?

(ie: Do 50 transfers a day for a week using the cpanel transfer wizard..)

4. garrettp

garrettp Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    There are two distinct disadvantages I have found:

- It does not deal well with large accounts (i.e. >2GB)
    - It is not fault tolerant (i.e. if you accidentally close the browser window, drop your connection, close your laptop lid, whatever)

Manually packaging the accounts (or running a cpbackup) and then copying the resulting tarballs over works pretty well, but it's quite similar to the rsync method, just slower :p