The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the easiest way to convert a full liscensed cpanel server into a dns only?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by BianchiDude, Jan 3, 2008.

1. BianchiDude

BianchiDude Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

What is the easiest way to convert a full liscensed cpanel server into a dns only cpanel server?

Is there a way to do this without losing whats in /var/named /etc/named.conf and the keys for my other servers?

2. BianchiDude

BianchiDude Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Can I run
    sh cpanel-universal-dnsonly-install.sea
    and it will overwrite the regular cpanel and still function as a dns server?

3. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I tried it once with limited sucess. If you make sure all the full cpanel processes are removed from the init.d startups then it should work alright. You may have to play with some other settings too due to unwanted services trying to start.

also if you run any other services like mysql or apache on it you will have to remove the disable files for the particular service from the /etc folder and manually restart them.

also when there is a update it will replace the disable files in the /etc folder.

use this at your own risk, millage may vary

make sure you keep backups of the /var/named folder and the named.conf before you attempt this.

4. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    touch /var/cpanel/dnsonly