The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the latest version of FBSD tested and supported by cPanel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hariskhan, Apr 1, 2006.

1. hariskhan

hariskhan Well-Known Member

I want a second opinion ... choosing the OS

I have a new box setup on fbsd 5.4. It had problems with exim install because of openssl and cpanel also complained about quota support (out of the box).

This box has an Opteron 240 (1.4 GHz proc) with 4GB RAM and plenty of space. Its going to be a heavy production server with 400+ websites.. (excluding subdomains).

1) What is the latest version of FBSD tested and supported by cPanel?

2) What OS do cpanel folks prefer between the two;

- Fbsd x.x
    - Cent OS 4

RH EL 4 is not an option

2. hariskhan

I'm ordering a rebuild of this new box

I'm ordering a re-build/re-install of this new box ...

Currently I'm running;

WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.8.1-R113
    FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE i386 - WHM X v3.1.0

; =======================

I also want to know if in!! this!! version of cpanel, exim supports a maildir format mailbox by default or do I have to manually turn it on in exim?

Request a prompt reply ...

3. jackie46

jackie46 BANNED

Umm, FreeBSD 5.4 does not come with Quota support compiled in the kernel. At least not the FreeBSD 5.4 boxes I'v purchased. You will need to do that yourself. You will need to recompile the Kernel to include quota support. They don't do everything for you.
    FreeBSD 5.4 or 6.0 if you know how to apply the 5.4 libs.
    FreeBSD anyday!

#3 jackie46, Apr 2, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
  4. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Never have used freeBSD but we are running several servers with CentOS 4.x.

CentOS 4 is stable and fully compatiable with cpanel straight out of the box.

The problem with having to custom compile a kernel is when a update comes out you have to do it all over again. where with centOS you can run yum and be done with the kernel update in 2 min.

5. eger

eger Well-Known Member

There usually is not much reason to upgrade the kernel in FreeBSD unless there is a feature enhancement you want or a serious exploit. I have run the same FBSD 4.x kernel for years without problem.

I will say this though... having run a FBSD cPanel and CentOS cPanel machine I would go with CentOS over FreeBSD for cPanel

6. hariskhan

Can anyone please also answer this Q as well please ... I have a brand new server ready and up..

I would like to convert to maildir format if its not used by default, before I create any email accounts on it ...

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I have already answered that question in your cross-post.

To answer your question about supported versions - they're posted on the cPanel sites front page - FreeBSD v6 is not one of them.

8. hariskhan

I regret the inconvenience

I regret not having control to close this post as one can do in helpdesk portals of hosting companies.

The OS issue has been resolved. It is no longer under discussion.

However, the issue about cpanel making exim work with mailboxes in the said format is proving cumbersome. I tried the convert2maildir script, but needless to say failed badly in achieving my target.

I have pasted relevant details in the other thread ... please review...

9. roman

roman Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I have a bunch of cpanel servers, most running linux (redhat, fedora, centos). I've found CenotOS being the most stable linux for cpanel.

Recently (back January) I decided to use freebsd for a new cpanel server. I installed freebsd 6.0, recompiled the kernal for quota support (very easy), and manually installed a bunch of ports since the cpanel script failed for me. I currently have 200 accounts on this server, it handles the load a lot better than any of my linux servers with the same hardware configuration, and it never crashed/froze/or locked up.

If I had the choice, I'd use freebsd. The support for freebsd by Cpanel has been poor, and no where as good as it is for linux, that said, if I were you I would choose a linux variant until cpanel gives the same priority for freebsd as it does for linux. Unfortunately...........

For me personally, my next cpanel server will probably be freebsd 6.0+ once again. But for my dedicated server customers, I'd recommend CentOS.

10. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Well-Known Member

Anything from FreeBSD 4.8 (Now defunct) upto 5.4 we have used and found to work fine.

Will shortly be trying the x86_64 version with an AMD system.

11. dandanfireman

dandanfireman Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I will echo this posters comments almost exactly. Our experience has been similar. FreeBSD 5.4 (our choice) has been excellent, Cpanel's support of Freebsd has been poor.

12. hariskhan

Fortunately, most of my servers are FreeBSD

Hello folks!

Fortunately, all of my servers are freebsd based. I have servers with freebsd from version 4.7 - 5.4 on them.

So far, I have no complaints from cpanel about freebsd support.

I'v had servers with cpanel over RH Enterprise Linux v3 without any problems in the past

cPanel folk are too reluctant/edgy about the software they'v chosen to put in their distribution/package (cpanel). I haven't seen support for renowned software in the control panel. Its almost as if, they want us to you what they want us to use, they don't want to let us choose which packages we want to use for the job. In 5+ years I haven't seen cpanel folk add support for new packages.

Having said that, they'v improved somewhat, even if its been as slow as a turtle. I'm happy to know exim has maildir support (not that cpanel development team makes exim, but still, incorporating maildir support in cpanel is a welcome notion from me) for example. No more hassles of having mail running slow because of mboxes, queues staying filled for hours, wasting cpu cycles.

Then there's this issue with mysql over username lengths. Its a small but annoying problem, knowing you are limited when there's no reason to be limited. I think cpanel folk should push mysql (knowing cpanel customers demand this feature) to make it better in the comming versions. Why do we have variables that can store large values, if we can't put them to use.

#12 hariskhan, Apr 19, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2006