Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SOLVED What is the purpose of Change Hostname?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AppleUnixUbuntuKali, Mar 6, 2019.

1. AppleUnixUbuntuKali

AppleUnixUbuntuKali Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Can someone please tell what is the purpose of hostname mentioned in Networking Setup > Change Hostname area of WHM?

Unfortunately my current hostname doesn't point to any A record and hence some cPanel SSL certificates are unable to be renewed (this may be the potential reason)

Can I change this to a subdomain of my parent domain? Is it going to affect the daily operations being performed by the server? What are the references to this hostname in the server?

Please see attached file to be sure what I am referring to.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AppleUnixUbuntuKali

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What internal services (and may be external too) are connected to this particular hostname? Since nothing seems to be broken except cPanel SSL certificates, I can change it whenever and it should be good to go? What I am trying to ask is that it's not going to break what's hosted on the server and being used by over 100 people in a day?

Also, can you please guide me whether I need to make any other changes in the WHM before / after changing the hostname? Like CNAME, etc?

4. cPanelLauren

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    cPanel licensing requires a valid hostname while licensing may function at this point it is possible that it will fail if the hostname is not a fully qualified domain name and does not resolve to the IP address of the server.

A hostname allows for the server to be differentiated from another machine. Other services could potentially have an issue functioning if the hostname is set to something that is not a fully qualified domain name. SSL services will absolutely not work, without a hostname that resolves to the server.

If you're not understanding what a hostname does and want to read more about it the following Wikipedia article is pretty detailed: Hostname - Wikipedia

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. AppleUnixUbuntuKali

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Does it matter if the valid hostname I enter points to another server or does it have to point to the server where my WHM is hosted? Because I changed my hostname to a valid hostname, but now all the server emails I am getting are "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender". Can you please help with this?

6. cPanelLauren

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The hostname must point to your server, it absolutely should not point to another server.

I'd suggest selecting a hostname that is not in use by any other server, pointing it to your server and then checking to see if the system mail continues to fail to be delivered.

7. AppleUnixUbuntuKali

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Things are much better now. So I created a support ticket with cPanel guys and they have been amazing to help me out. Two issues:

1. Like you said, I didnt have the hostname pointing to my server. I pointed it to my server and “hostname cant be resolved” error was gone. However I was still getting server health check and other emails from mailer-daemon. So I created a MX record and pointed it to my hostname. That fixed the mailer-daemon sender issues and I started getting normal emails from root account

2. I was able to access WHM / cPanel with HTTPS however running cpanel sslcertchecks was still giving me dovecot and exim failed errors. CPanel guy suggested I open port 80 for incoming connections for Sectigo’s IP addresses which he provided me. I did that, ran the same command with retry flag and all was good.

Thanks a lot for your help!

cPanelLauren likes this.