The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the purpose of cPanel / Web Host Manager News

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SupermanInNY, Jun 4, 2004.

1. SupermanInNY

SupermanInNY Well-Known Member

A quick glance at it shows a very antique and old references to builds no longer supported.
    I think it would be nice to clean it out.
    Keep the news from version 8.5.x and up at most.
    Who is still version 7.x????
    for instance who really cares to see:

"Apache 1.3.28 Zombie/Defunct Process Bug If you have updated to apache 1.3.28 before 2pm EST Sunday July 20th"

That's not news.. that's old old logs.

The top portion of is semi-ok:

Attention FreeBSD users After updating to the 9.1.x builds, you may need to manually kill whostmgrd,cpaneld,and webmaild so cpsrvd can bind to the their respective ports. You can do this by running "killall -9 whostmgrd cpaneld webmaild" in a shell or a reboot. (Note: if you don't have a problem after upgrading then you do not need to do this)

Fedora-Legacy updates now available for Redhat 7.2,7.3 and 8.0 Fedora-Legacy updates will automatically be installed, if you have selected rpm updates. (8.7.0 build 9 or later only ONLY)

Fedora 1.0 Support Fedora 1.0 is now supported. (8.6.0 build 1 or later only)

RedHat Enterprise 3.0 Support RedHat Enterprise 3.0 is now supported. (8.5.5 build 49 or later only)

Reseller Limit System Changes. The reseller system has been re-worked to be more user friendly. (8.5.4 build 9 or later only)

Web Mail Interface re-write. The webmail interface is now themeable. (8.0.0 build 53 or later only)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

STOP HERE .. ANYTHING BELOW HERE IS 7.X Why?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Saving reseller acl lists. You can now save and restore reseller acl lists. (7.4.0 build 108 or later only)

Trustix 2.0 Support Trustix 2.0 is now supported. (7.4.0 build 94 or later only)

Fixups Update the cPanel server status screen

2. WarpFactorJohn

The ACL Lists are new. They are supported on any WHM on 7.4.0 Build 108 or later. That's NOT JUST for 7.X. It's for anything in 7.4.0 or LATER. Gah ... are you sure you know what you're saying? And I know quite a few peeps still on versions of 7.

3. SupermanInNY

1. I am very much certain that I don't have a clue about what I'm saying :))

2. for me it seemed odd that someone would NOT upgrade to a stable version of the WHM. That is why I'm raising this issue.

With all the updates and bug fixes that are released every so often, I can't imagine why anyone would stay at the old version (7.x).

There were several security holes that were patched in various releases and I fail to understand who would want to leave them open.
    At least,.. that is my line of thought.
    Not doing Edge,.. just Stable.

And I understand the support for features I copied/pasted,. those were just the sample of the whole long page that goes to length down to version 6.4.2.

If that was up to me (which is not of course) I would just not put it into the News page. This is a change log that goes from the early days.
    I would just keep the last versions info up there or as the name imply News - new stuff.

Just my thought about it.

-Alon.

4. WarpFactorJohn

Just because you don't understand why people are still on versions of 7, doesn't mean that they aren't there. These people pay for cPanel, and deserve the news. For example, if I had a 2001 F-150 that I PAID for, I would be seriously pissed if Ford refused me news on what was happening with the truck, or refused to fix my truck because it was obsolete. These people PAID for cPanel, therefore they deserve news on the control panel, and equally deserve fixes for it. Just my thoughts ...

5. SupermanInNY

You are absolutly correct.
    You should have all the new stuff available for you.
    If I'll use your example of your F-150, When you walk into a dealershop... heck.. even the Ford's Headquarters, you usually find the showroom with the Latest models.
    You walk in and say Hey.. I paid good money for my F-150,.. give me some service for my 2 year old car.
    Chances are that you will be cared for with no problem.
    But,.. do you see the shop manual or the liflets of the 2001 cars in the show room or the 2004-2005?
    Nothing is lost. Don't get me wrong. It's not like I'm talking about Out with the old.
    In my opinion, it makes sense to refer you to the ChangeLog so you can compare the various version and the progress they have taken since your last purchase.
    When I'm hearing News.. I think in term of current days.. you know what.. current week.. heck.. make it a month... you are twisting my arm... make it 6 months... You know what? lets settle for the current YEAR!
    Anything beyond a 6 months period,. should really be shelved in a separate area called "Archive". It is there for you to look at anytime you want.
    You paid good money and I respect that very much.
    And for the people with the older versions, thats still valid. They can look in the archive area anytime, and they can and should certainly get fixes whenever they want.
    I've said nothing about refusing to fix or inform anyone.
    All I was trying to point out is that if you are looking for news, you might want to put things in context. Desert Storm II was in about the same time as the 6.4.2 version mentioned. Is it considered news?

I was just thinkin in organizational terms.
    You don't need to see all the history since Model-T was introduced in 1908. You can probably get as much info about it if you look in the archives.
    Servicewise,.. I have not referenced and not mentioned anything and nothing is mentioned about it in my previous post. I'm just talking about the information displayed in that particular page.

-Alon.