The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is this CUR subdirecotry under mail directory?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by dxer, Apr 19, 2007.

1. dxer

dxer Well-Known Member

Some of my users are reported that they are almost out of disk space on their account and that e-mails are all downloaded, and there are not much other stuff on account. Then I researched and find out that there is CUR subdirectory created under their mail directory. And this directory is storing mails but they can not be deleted from a local computer and webmail.

So my question is , what is stored in this CUR directory and why. Main mail accounts are set to :fail:. Hopefuly someone from cPanel staff will answer.

One more thing. What is this mail manager some users are mentioned in forum ? Where could I find it and how to install ?

thanks

2. david510

david510 Well-Known Member

The folders 'cur' and 'new' are mail related folders only. They are used by by the mail server. Those directories are created if the mail format on the server is maildir. 'New' directory is the one where the mails first reach the email account. ie a fresh mail. 'Cur' directory contains the mails which are once read by the email client.

3. dxer

dxer Well-Known Member

So you are saying that CUR stores e-mails which are read by user but not deleted from the server. And this means that user has this settings in his mail client programme, right ?

4. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As noted these are part of the Maildir format. These directories will retain email under the following conditions:

1. email access is done via the IMAP protocol, which always leaves the email on the server
    2. POP3 access is used, but user (accidentally) checked the box to 'leave messages on server'
    3. customer only accesses email via webmail, which uses IMAP

When using IMAP access, messages will often be downlaoded to the users computer while also remaining on the server. This is how IMAP is designed, for centralized access to email.