What is this CUR subdirecotry under mail directory?

dxer

Sep 9, 2002
Europe
Some of my users are reported that they are almost out of disk space on their account and that e-mails are all downloaded, and there are not much other stuff on account. Then I researched and find out that there is CUR subdirectory created under their mail directory. And this directory is storing mails but they can not be deleted from a local computer and webmail.

So my question is , what is stored in this CUR directory and why. Main mail accounts are set to :fail:. Hopefuly someone from cPanel staff will answer.

One more thing. What is this mail manager some users are mentioned in forum ? Where could I find it and how to install ?

thanks

david510

Aug 22, 2004
The folders 'cur' and 'new' are mail related folders only. They are used by by the mail server. Those directories are created if the mail format on the server is maildir. 'New' directory is the one where the mails first reach the email account. ie a fresh mail. 'Cur' directory contains the mails which are once read by the email client.

dxer

Sep 9, 2002
Europe
The folders 'cur' and 'new' are mail related folders only. They are used by by the mail server. Those directories are created if the mail format on the server is maildir. 'New' directory is the one where the mails first reach the email account. ie a fresh mail. 'Cur' directory contains the mails which are once read by the email client.

So you are saying that CUR stores e-mails which are read by user but not deleted from the server. And this means that user has this settings in his mail client programme, right ?

cPanelKenneth

cPanel Development
Staff member
Apr 7, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
As noted these are part of the Maildir format. These directories will retain email under the following conditions:

1. email access is done via the IMAP protocol, which always leaves the email on the server
2. POP3 access is used, but user (accidentally) checked the box to 'leave messages on server'
3. customer only accesses email via webmail, which uses IMAP

When using IMAP access, messages will often be downlaoded to the users computer while also remaining on the server. This is how IMAP is designed, for centralized access to email.