The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is this "Forbidden" thing and why won't my images appear on my store?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shojen, Sep 13, 2005.

1. shojen

shojen Registered

Within File Manager, I can click an image icon, click 'show file' and view the image just fine. However, when I click the actual URL of the image (displayed just below the options) I get this:

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /images/uploads/blah.jpg on this server.

Also, this image will not display when I surf over to my store and look at the item. I get the little red 'x' picture instead.

I'm frustrated. Please help!

Sho

2. Etheral

Etheral Well-Known Member

set permissions on the file...

3. pshepperd

pshepperd Well-Known Member

You need to chmod the file or chown the file to that user, google chown chmod chgrp to see how to use them.

As a general rule of thumb, dont use the file manager. Unless you have to.

4. shojen

shojen Registered

I have changed permission to all possible combinations, through File Manager, and still not working. I have also deleted the files and uploaded them again, and still not working. I thot that maybe the 'folder' i was uploading them to was 'corrupt' and i changed permissions on that 'folder' and compared it to other 'folder's' and still not working.

Now, the default image files work fine, ie: "show file" works and the "url" works allowing me to see the image from both accesses. However, i am still not able to see my uploaded images, be it a .gif or .jpg.

I am using Zen Cart and have uploaded the images individually as creating a new product, and they still won't appear.

I google'd chown and found that it's syntax for changing user permisions. Are there other ways to manage my stores files without the use of the File Manager?

Thanks to all who respond!

Sho

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The simplest way would be to use FTP. Such quetions should really be directed to your web hosting provider.

6. pshepperd

pshepperd Well-Known Member

to use zen cart properly, i have setup many of these, you need to change the directroy permissions.

If you have shell access the command you want is chmod -R 775 /something/directory/

i think you may not be chmoding the right directory, or are just doing the files, remember your webserver needs to be able to get into the folder to actually display those images.

If it is uploaded images it is in images/attributes or something like that.

If the images are default ones that you want to change on the cart they are actually in your template folders classic or bluebar or whichever you have selected.

But you made the right choice in using zen cart it is absolutely amazing, and I now only offor it on my cpanel servers.