The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is this process?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ukagg, Jun 3, 2007.

1. ukagg

ukagg Active Member

Hi,

I have a Dual Xeon, 2GB RAM, SCSI server running only one website. This website is running an osCommerce with persistant connection enabled. Site is not too busy, but sometime has 8-10 visitors.

Website is extremely slow for last few days. When I see top, it shows a process owned by mysql running mysqld command is running for a long time and consuming maximum CPU.

It is shown as under in WHM > Show Current Running Processes:-

32727 (mysqld) /usr/sbin/mysqld /var/lib/mysql
    /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir=/ --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --user=mysql --
    pid-file=/var/lib/mysql/ns5.tecz.com.pid --skip-external-locking

cat /proc/32727/environ shows as under:-

SHELL=/bin/shLC_ALL=CUSER=rootPATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin://binPWD=/LANG=CRPMINSTALL=1HOME=/rootSHLVL=4LOGNAME=rootCPRSYNCSERVER=layer2.cpanel.net_=/usr/bin/nohup

Can someone please suggest me what is this process, or how can I know more about this process?

Server is running:-
    WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.9.0-C117
    CentOS 4.5 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

Thanks
    UKA

2. sibinkc

sibinkc Member

Hi,

First you have to check the database using by the process '32727' if any, so only we get a clear idea about this.

======================
    SHELL=/bin/shLC_ALL=CUSER=rootPATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin://binPWD=/LANG=CRPMINSTALL=1HOME=/rootSHLVL=4LOGNAME=rootCPRSYNCSERVER=layer2.cpanel .net_=/usr/bin/nohup
    ======================

This seems the process generated while you were performing (or cron) any 'upcp' or related actions. Normally WHM uses the command 'nohup' for such actions. (The nohup utility can be used when it is known that command will take a long time to run and the user wants to log out of the terminal).

If the process still consume considerable server recourse just kill the process or restart the mysql server.

Not sure whether this help you........

#2 sibinkc, Jun 4, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  3. ukagg

ukagg Active Member

Thanks. I have killed the process and restarted mysql server, but the process start again continues running.

How can I know, which database is this process using? Or, how can I know more about this process?