The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is /usr/tmpDSK ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by furquan, May 12, 2011.

1. furquan

furquan Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I have a few physical Cpanel servers and i need to move them to a VPS. As the tech was working on one of the server, he noticed that one of my partitions was marked as :-

/usr/tmpDSK 485M 28M 433M 6% /tmp

Now the tech says this is causing issues in the process, and since i had not created this i am not sure from where did this come from, I thought it would be good to ask the board if some one can shed some light on this.

a) Can i go ahead and delete this ? if yes , HOW?
    b) What happens to /tmp after i delete this ?
    c) How can i restore this issue back to normal, with a separate /tmp partition

Any help pls ?

#1 furquan, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not sure what sort of problem this would be causing, unless its full of garbage.

cPanel can secure the tmp directory with the script /scripts/securetmp which creates tmpDSK

For example if you wanted to resize the tmp dir you'd edit that script and check this line:
    my $tmpdsksize = 512000; # Must be larger than 250000

If you look further into that script you'll find references to tmpDSK throughout.

Can you explain more about what problems he's running into?

Do not delete or empty that directory if you're unsure of what you're doing. You could crash all sites that require MySQL.