The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is wordpress?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steve Nelson, Sep 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Steve Nelson

Steve Nelson Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I'm an extreme newbie. I just bought a domain and hosting that comes with cPanel.

What is Wordpress and do I need it? I suspect not. I know how to produce html code and I know that there are other html create/edit tools.

Thx

2. Chris Rose

Chris Rose Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is a pretty big questions, but I will give you a quick answer:

WordPress is a widely used blogging platform which can be installed and used to quickly setup a blog. It requires a MySQL database.

Some developers customise WordPress to do more than just blogs though. Some websites that run WordPress have e-commerce stores, custom content, custom post types etc.. There is wide breadth of information out there on the web. It has a plugin eco-system that allows you to add new features quickly and easily with minimal configuration/code.

WordPress is one of the "go to" solutions for quick websites. More information here I would advise you look for introduction to WordPress websites/tutorials online.

One word of warning, with WordPress being one of the most commonly used solutions, this attracts attention from hackers/bots. So if you do go down the route of using WordPress, do some research into security and setting up the relevant precautions to deter the hackers. Like I mentioned previously, there are some plugins that can manage certain security aspects for you.

Hope this helps!