The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is your average "load average"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dchepishev, Jan 18, 2006.

1. dchepishev

dchepishev Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Hi to All,
    I have a cpanel server here and was interested what should be the usual "load average" on your machines.
    I have 100 clients so far and some times load goes over 1.5. Do you think this is normal
    PHP is installed as CGI (phpsuexec).
    machine is P4 Xeon 3G

And if anyone knows about article for improving performance on a similar setup it would be much appreciated?

Thank you

2. WilliamE

WilliamE Well-Known Member

Typica less than 0.5 of course it varies depending on which server, hardware, how may clients, what the clients are running, time of day and processes running.

Your best bet is to watch in top or whatever tool you prefer as to which processes are pushing your load up that high and go from there in evaluating what you can do about it. Such as backups running is going to push your load up one or another so you should try to schedule it during the time of least activity on your server.

3. dory36

dory36 Well-Known Member

Average of about 0.3 overall, about 3-4 during 2am cpanel backups (for about an hour), and 5 or higher sometimes for <5 minutes when stats are running for one very busy domain. About 150 sites on the server.

4. dchepishev

dchepishev Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Actually the problem is that when the load is high. Big part of the time spend is lost as system time to spawn php as cgi and I really dont find anything interesting how to optimize process spawning (or else if it will do the job). :)

5. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

i use MRTG to watch loads over a long period ..but typically i like to see the daily MRTG graph staying under the 1 -1.2 mark. This is on Dua Xeon boxes with scsi drives and 2GB ram. Less thn 300 sites on each box. When things get more loaded than that I off-load to other machines that are not doing as much to balance things. At 4am I see 3-4 when backups run as well. I run php not in cgi mode ..traffic averages less than 5mbit on most of my boxes.

6. HostMerit

HostMerit Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Usually .5 - .9 on Dual Xeon during normal hours - Of course when updatedb runs at 4am it causes hell (So updatedb / locate is disabled on my machines) - It's pretty funny to access normal high traffic CPanel sites at 4 / 4:20 - 5am, Most will be barely loading, or unresponsive.

Of course cpbackup is its own thread.... :rolleyes:

Good tool to use also is SPRI:

http://rfxnetworks.org/spri.php

#6 HostMerit, Jan 19, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2006