The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what makes a good host?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by qbert1987, Feb 15, 2004.

1. qbert1987

qbert1987 Well-Known Member

What is it that yous think makes a good host? good prices, appealing site, great name, good logo, reliable server, what else?

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

service and support
    reliable backbone connections
    good server load management
    keeping up to date with security issues

3. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

dito to a "T".

Logo, website all that means nothing. For that matters,.. many people (end users) find that price winds up meaning nothing also. Many find you can pay $30/mo for crap and $20/mo somewhere else for near perfection.

The above things that really matter, also don't come overnite as far as I am concerned. Many hours of time a dedication and basic "care" has to go into one of these things. You must balance most of your time and dedication to your exisiting users wellbeing FIRST. Then if that's up to par you can concentrate on new sales. What I have learned is if you concentrate on the right things, you don't even need a website to sell hosting. I sign up 2-3 every day, without a site and the ones I sign up stay.

Two kinds of hosts I have found. Those that build it to "cash in" and let fall later to just to build again. And those that build something of value that lasts.

4. qbert1987

qbert1987 Well-Known Member

awsem, im doing this as a hobbie, im 17 and still at school. I would be very supprised if i break even.

reliable backbone connections, is this somthing i can mannage myself or dose it just depend on where my server is from?

good server load management, can you explane that in more detale? im a bit lost there.

ive been on a massive lurning curve since ive got the server, even if i have made a massive loss its still better then any computer course ive ever done so im realy happy with things.

thanks heaps :D

5. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

backbone will depend on the NOC or data center. That's their job.

Load management ..let's say you have 2 servers. One has 200 sites on it and a new one has just a few. Well count on server #1 with 200 sites growing in bandwidth and load. When this happens it gets slower for the people using it. It's up to you to make sure those loads are comfortable for daily activity on that server as well as a litte room for peak days. When you do find you have a situation it's time to shift some sites to server#2 so everthing runs at a reasonable speed. Remember that just one site can use the resources of 1000 average sites if you let it. All this is something you have learn over the years.