The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what OS would be better?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ike, Sep 26, 2007.

1. ike

ike Well-Known Member

Hi,

I currently run a vds with cpanel/fantastico on fedora5 and have no real problems apart from fantastico not liking the default wget. I am just about to upgrade and buy a new dedicated server and i am wondering if i should stick with fedora5 or move up to fedora6 or even centos 4 or 5. I lean towards centos as it seems to have more longevity as an OS and fedora 7 is out and 8 will probably be out by the end of the year. Ok i wasnt quoting fact there but thats how it seems, a new fedora comes out a lot more than a new centos and i have heard in the past centos is one of the better OS's for compatability. Before i got into cpanel though i used freebsd for shell boxes. but when i tried it with cpanel there were so many problems so i assume you have to be far more experienced than i am to run cpanel with freebsd. Currently with cpanel 11 what would you guys think is the more compatable OS. I only have a small amount of experience with all and am looking for the least maintenance/problem one.

Cheers and thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Fedora core support for v5 stopped some time ago. Fedora Core is recognized as a development OS and should not be used on a production server because of it's nature and very short lifecycle (4-8months) compared to 5+ years for an Enterprise OS such as RHEL or CentOS. For that reason I would suggest going for either CentOSv4 or CentOSv5.

3. the_bobara

the_bobara Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I will use this thread to ask which is better centos4 or centos5? Is there any major problems with centos5 and cPanel? Is it safe to install centos5 and cPanel on it?

4. orty

orty Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It is safe, but there are some weird issues that I've come across with the newer version of BIND that comes with Cent OS5 that will kill your name servers if you don't manually fix the named.conf files (look around the forums). I have two servers, one running 4 and one running 5, and I think if I were to do it again, I'd redo the 5 server with 4 instead, as there's just some odd things that keep happening to my 5 server that never happened on my 4 server (and it could be that my host just didn't set it up right, I don't know).

5. the_bobara

the_bobara Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    we have a lot of centos4 and we install the os manually, so I will not install bind when install centos5. cPanel install will download bind9, i will try it with our new server.

6. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I believe orty is referring the use of views in BIND 9. It's a method of applying ACLs to DNS and is very annoying.