The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What port do web servers connect to DNS-Only DNS nameservers on?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by electric, Mar 25, 2014.

1. electric

electric Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have a setup of four "DNS-Only" nameserver servers. (ns1/ns2/ns3/ns4.nameserver.com)

One of my web servers has recently started showing errors like this:

One interesting thing is that when I login to the DNS-Only nameserver server and go to the "Home->Cluster/Remote Access->Configure Cluster" screen, I see a lot of connection errors.

Under the "Status" column, it says "Connection Timed Out" for about 1/2 the web servers that are configured to use this nameserver. The other 1/2 are not showing any errors.

Any ideas? Maybe it's some kind of connectivity issue? I tried pinging the nameserver in question from one of the servers that says it can't connect, and it works fine. Same if I try pinging the "can't connect" web server... it connects immediately.

Does anyone have any suggestions what might be the problem? I have tried disabling the nameserver's firewall (using CSF) and it makes no difference.

Thanks.

2. robb3369

robb3369 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It seems like it might be a firewall issue with outgoing connections on the hosting machine if you have other hosting machines successfully connecting to that DNS-Only server.

Thank you.