What purpose, if any, do non-authoritative DNS zone files serve?

spaceman

Mar 25, 2002
Hi,

As per the title: what purpose, if any, do non-authoritative DNS zone files serve? If the answer is "none", then IMHO it should be a standard feature of WHM to identify non-authoritative DNS files and offer them up for deletion.

Thanks for your feedback on this,

Ross

spaceman

Mar 25, 2002
Ironically I was asking the same question way back here in 2006!

http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/identifying-non-authoritative-dns-zone-files-59813.html

I just think/observe that non-authoritative DNS zone files have the potential to really mislead humans, and create technical issues.

* When viewing/editing zone files in WHM, there is nothing to distinguish an authoritative zone file from a non-authoritative one - thereby creating the potential for human confusion.
* Non-authoritative DNS zone files have the potential to give incorrect instructions to the local web server, e.g. most typically on how to handle mail (i.e. locally or remotely).

What am I missing here?! What value, if any, do non-authoritative DNS zone files have on a WHM server?

Thx.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

There are no native options in cPanel that will prevent the creation or allow for the automatic detection/removal of a DNS Zone when the server is non-authoritative. One reason is so the zone will exist if a customer chooses to use the cPanel server as the authoritative DNS server. The best way to see this type of functionality is to open a feature request:

Submit A Feature Request

Thank you.

spaceman

Mar 25, 2002
Hello :)

There are no native options in cPanel that will prevent the creation or allow for the automatic detection/removal of a DNS Zone when the server is non-authoritative. One reason is so the zone will exist if a customer chooses to use the cPanel server as the authoritative DNS server. The best way to see this type of functionality is to open a feature request:

Submit A Feature Request

Thank you.
Thanks for that.

I've opened a feature request here: Login Form | cPanel Feature Requests

I accept/agree that some sort of auto-deletion policy for non-authoritative DNS zone files is a bit harsh/risky, but at a bare minimum I think a sensible approach is to either

1. Much more clearly highlight to a WHM admin where a zone files is not authoritative, and/or
2. Auto suspend/disable such zone files so that they're not permitted to be active and appear as authoritative to the local server (and potentially cause the server to be given incorrect information).