The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should my MX records be?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Rasmusbdk, Jul 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Rasmusbdk

Rasmusbdk Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hey there.

I have spent quite some time getting used to setting up spf, dkim, rdns and dmarc records. Since I host mail on our own server, I have never used MX records, because I thought these were for pointing the mail towards another server.

However, upon verifying my newest domain with mail-tester.com, I get a notification about missing MX records. So.. How should I setup those?

Should mynewdomain.com have a mx record pointing towards my server, that I access on server1.mycompany.com? I think that would be my FQDN..

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

It's possible this is a false positive. MX records are added to a domain name's DNS zone by default in cPanel. Are you sure this domain name is assigned name servers that resolve to the cPanel server? If so, you can review the DNS zone to verify the MX records are added:

"WHM >> DNS Functions >> Edit DNS Zone"

Thank you.

3. Rasmusbdk

Rasmusbdk Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for your reply. I am using a free DNS service called gratisdns.dk. My domains are pointing to their DNS nameservers, and from there, I have set A-records to point to the IP address of my server.

None of my domains seems to have MX-records attached - I have tried both mxtoolbox.com/ and the mentioned Edit DNS Zone directly in WHM. I can, however, add my MX-records manually through my DNS provider, but I have no idea what they are supposed to be..

4. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    dmomain.com. 14400 IN MX 0 domaim.com.

if you hosting your mail on your server will work

5. Rasmusbdk

Rasmusbdk Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am hosting my mail on my own server, but I have multiple domains for different webpages. Would each of these webpages have to resolve to the domain of the site itself? Or to the main domain of the server?

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You will need to add the MX records at the DNS hosting provider of each domain name if that's not the cPanel server. You can use any hostname that resolves to the mail server's IP address. Thus, if you wanted to use the hostname of the cPanel server you could, or you could create custom "A" records for subdomains such as "mail.domain.com" and point the MX records to those subdomains.

Thank you.