SOLVED What should SPF Record be if you're on a GoDaddy VPS?

ItsMattSon

Sep 5, 2016
Perth
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi all,

I was using mxtoolbox (which I think is amazing!) to determine if my "deliverability" was good from a mail perspective and I've come across a few issues that I'll be tackling as soon as I can but one in particular had me guessing correct practice.

Since I am running in an OpenVZ container, I just realised from the test results that my VPS IP isn't necessarily the IP that mail comes from. Seems it goes out through the hardware node's smtp server?

1. Should my SPF Record be the 208. IP or left as my VPS's 97. IP? (refer to screenshot)
2. Just because I'm curious, why doesn't mail come from my VPS IP? I thought it would mail out from my VPS straight to the real world? Seems to go another.. route/server?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

ItsMattSon

Sep 5, 2016
Perth
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Oh, you know I should probably point out that my VPS is through GoDaddy, Inc. so maybe they force all smtp traffic through that server so they can count how many smtp relays you've used out of your daily 5000 quota? If that's unlikely, disregard that lol

I'm not sure where to check the configuration I'm afraid. I'll do a bit of digging around and see if I can figure it out!

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Oh, you know I should probably point out that my VPS is through GoDaddy, Inc. so maybe they force all smtp traffic through that server so they can count how many smtp relays you've used out of your daily 5000 quota? If that's unlikely, disregard that lol
Hi Matt,

Email actually does go out from the IP address of the individual VPS by default, however you are correct that GoDaddy relays their SMTP traffic through an email relay server. Here's a related thread on GoDaddy's forums:

What are the correct GoDaddy SPF Settings For DNS ... - GoDaddy Community

You may want to reach out to their support team to verify the correct settings to use for your specific VPS.

Thanks!

Reactions: ItsMattSon

ItsMattSon

Sep 5, 2016
Perth
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi @cPanelMichael

All resolved! I figured it out myself without GoDaddy's help so I'm hoping it's right haha. It all checks out according to mxtoolbox though so I'm pretty happy with it.

I ended up setting the TXT record to:
v=spf1 +mx include:secureserver.net -all

Apparently the include mechanism will reference the spf record of the secureserver.net domain and then return if no match. Interestingly, there is no match of any IPs starting with 208.109 at secureserver.net but it has an include for ss1.domaincontrol.com which has an include for ss2.domaincontrol.com which does have the IP listed in its spf record (as 208.109.0.0/16).

According to Gmail:

Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 208.109.xx.xxx as permitted sender) client-ip=208.109.xx.xxx;

Would be useful I think if I set thread title to "GoDaddy VPS" i think instead of OpenVZ VPS. I believe we're sorted now :D

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

I'm happy to see you were able to sort out the issue. Thanks for updating us with the outcome.