The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what the???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by twhiting9275, Jan 7, 2003.

1. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Ok, so, I wake up this morning and go through logs, finding that my own server is fine, and that antivirus software got installed into exim (as an rpm).. Well, great, BUT, on damn near every server I manage, mail is crippled now.. Here's the error:

Error in message_filter file: failed to expand &${perl{amavis_filter_scan}{$message_id}{$sender_address}{$recipients}}& in filter file: Undefined subroutine &main::amavis_filter_scan called.\n
    delivering message 18W47o-0004A9-00 (queue run pid 22436 fd 5)

Obviously, the answer is just to delete the filter line, but c'mon now. If something doesn't work, do NOT distribute it!! If it's NOT fully tested (especially on &stable& systems), do NOT distribute it.. It's the FIRST common law of programming.

This is completely ridiculous, people PAY for this software, in order for their servers to be cripped because someone can't check things fully??? my GOD

2. MikeMc

MikeMc Well-Known Member

Hi,
    it's an old advice here but I'll repeat. Turn to manual updates and do the updates when you feel that things are stable. If you hear rumors about a build or upgrade, just relax and wait some days. Another thing, if everything works well with your current build there is no reason to upgrade immediately except you need desperately some new features or there are security reasons.

Kind Regards
    Mike

3. taivu

taivu Well-Known Member

[quote:8e899faab7][i:8e899faab7]Originally posted by twhiting9275[/i:8e899faab7]
    Error in message_filter file: failed to expand &${perl{amavis_filter_scan}{$message_id}{$sender_address}{$recipients}}& in filter file: Undefined subroutine &main::amavis_filter_scan called.\n
    delivering message 18W47o-0004A9-00 (queue run pid 22436 fd 5)[/quote:8e899faab7]

Make sure that the last line of exim.pl is:
    do '/usr/share/amavis/amavis-filter';

4. FWC

FWC Well-Known Member

Run the patcheximconf file from the original install directory. It will fix it.

5. ozzi4648

ozzi4648 Guest

[quote:ef5d8cef48][i:ef5d8cef48]Originally posted by MikeMc[/i:ef5d8cef48]

Hi,
    it's an old advice here but I'll repeat. Turn to manual updates and do the updates when you feel that things are stable. If you hear rumors about a build or upgrade, just relax and wait some days. Another thing, if everything works well with your current build there is no reason to upgrade immediately except you need desperately some new features or there are security reasons.

Kind Regards
    Mike[/quote:ef5d8cef48]

Which release are you referring to? Every release has its problems so what does it matter if he leaves it set to auto or not? Dont get your logic on this. The next release could fix the previous and visa versa so then when does one stop at a stable realease? Its a complete mystery and truely a SHOT IN THE DARK!

6. twhiting9275

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not to mention that that screwed up the other half of the servers that weren't originally screwed up. Great job!! Leave people without email, but charge 'em for it!!

7. MikeMc

MikeMc Well-Known Member

[quote:ec43a27ed3][i:ec43a27ed3]Originally posted by ozzi4648[/i:ec43a27ed3]
    Which release are you referring to? Every release has its problems so what does it matter if he leaves it set to auto or not? Dont get your logic on this. The next release could fix the previous and visa versa so then when does one stop at a stable realease? Its a complete mystery and truely a SHOT IN THE DARK![/quote:ec43a27ed3]

The &every release has its problems& is too general, although it is true. Well in this case my logic is that if you have 1000 clients and none uses interchange then the releases that were working perfectly but had problems with interchange are absolutely stable to me. The server works...clients are happy. And please don't deny that everyone complains for errors only when he finds them. What about those releases that had errors that you never knew about them? Didn't you feel relaxed and comfortable?

I agree in general with all of you...but the Shot In The Dark isn't really the appropriate term. Builds that have serious problems related to features that many use or that cause problems to servers are almost always known after some hours or a couple of days (although Darkorb corrects some builds before many notice it or in short time after the roumors came out). I have also noticed that Darkorb often makes releases that fix things and add a little or nothing new..so the theory that one build fixes one thing and destroys another isn't true.

So I still believe that waiting & waiting is the best method. I don't want to appear rude but in these issues I leave the others to break their faces first..then I decide to wait or to break mine too.

My best regards guys

8. twhiting9275

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    In regards to the releases, if a person requests a &stable& release, this crap shouldn't happen. That's not &stable& by any means.

9. MikeMc

MikeMc Well-Known Member

[quote:8efeab579b][i:8efeab579b]Originally posted by twhiting9275[/i:8efeab579b]

In regards to the releases, if a person requests a &stable& release, this crap shouldn't happen. That's not &stable& by any means.
    [/quote:8efeab579b]

You are absolutely right, that's why I made the interchange example above. But from the other hand, how could you really expect a stable release that often? I have seen &stable& appear after 2-3 days even when new features have been added. So in my mind this word &stable& when I'm thinking of the Darkorb products means &hey, guys...we have added some features, or small changes from the previous release..we did it well...we believe there are no errors&. In general there is never a stable release when we are talking about software. So &stable& is just a working and free of disaster release and it doesn't mean that has no errors...that's all. Of course this is my thinking, Darkorb has its own voice and can explain when they like.

10. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I agree with the wait.... since stable doesn't really mean stable, yet. Don't fix what ain't broke, especially when you've got 100's of customers relying on your services. If you just have your own stuff on the server and like the cutting edge, go for it.

though we don't really see much input on the boards from Darkorb, it is obvious that the boards are read by them. So, eventually, I figure that stable will actually become 'stable'. :)

We've got 3 releases available to us. Edge makes sense, as this is a great way of testing things out. It can even be updated hourly, as they are working on it.

The next is Release, which 'should' be a combination of the Edge releases that seem to have no problems (not --- &this is where we are right now&). The &Release& should be a 'believed to be stable', where more monitoring should be done. If there are any errors in the Release version, they should be fixed, but NOT with any of the Edge versions added. At that point, Release should be a separate version.

After the Release version has been shown to be 'fixed' and patched, it should be released as 'Stable' as is. Do NOT add any of the newer features, etc.

So, you would actually have two versions being worked on... Edge and Release.

Edge keeps moving forward with new stuff.
    Release keeps getting patched (without any new stuff) until it reaches 'Stable' status.

Then, Stable becomes a 'snapshot' of a stable release.

At least that is how it should work. It seems right now, Releases seem to be an Edge release that they 'think' is good enough. And then, Stable is the latest Release that they 'think' is good enough, except, the latest Release includes some of the latest Edge, thereby making Stable the most recent Edge. :(

Update only when needed, or every month or so, if many sites rely on your stability.