The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What To Backup For CPanel Restore?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by frelliot, May 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frelliot

frelliot Registered

Hello,

I do daily cpanel backup of whole server and all accounts. Then I do daily rsync incremental transfer of backup to another box located at different place.

The backup directory structure is similar to this:
    Code:
    /daily
      /dirs
      /files
      /x account
      /x1 account...
    I believe this is the best backup configuration after reading plenty of posts hear. I do not want to rely on RAID, the realibilty is for me more important that the instant restore. But...

My main concern is about mysql backup - do I really need "Per Accounts and Entire Mysql Dir" option? What is "Entire Mysql Dir" for? Is it worth the disk space?

From what I have read it is much better to restore mysql from dumps, and "plain mysql files" may be not enough to restore. So why should I backup these files? What do you think?

And one more question: how to restore from this backup when failure day comes?
    I have no experience with this and it may be too late one day;) I would copy the whole backup directory to the new disk with fresh OS+Cpanel, but what to do next? Is there Cpanel script to do this?

Thanks a lot.

Frelliot.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It's a good idea to use the "Per Accounts and Entire Mysql Dir" . The first does a mysqldump, the second is a copy of /var/lib/mysql - it's handy having both incase the mysqldumps have failed for some reason. The mysql dir isn't ideal as MySQL isn't stopped when it is run, but it's better than losing a database.

My personal preference to restore a whole server and maintain IP address allocation is to use this procedure:

1. Restore /dirs/_var_cpanel.tar.gz
    2. Delete all the files in /var/cpanel/users/*
    3. Restore /files/_etc_ips.gz
    4. Perform a Multi-Restore in WHM for all the user accounts
    5. Rebuild apache and php as you had them before
    6. Restore /files/_usr_local_apache_conf_apache_conf.gz
    7. Restart apache
    8. Restore /dirs/_var_named.tar.gz
    9. Restore /files/_etc_named_conf.gz
    10. Restart named

#2 chirpy, Jun 1, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2006