The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do when /usr/local/cpanel fills up?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sam12, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Sam12

Sam12 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hey everyone.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to server administration. I have rented myself a VPS with WHM and cPanel. The server has 1GB RAM, Intel Xeon E5620 @ 2.4GHz and 10GB of SSD space. Recently my e-mail has been filling up with messages from cPanel saying that there is not enough free space in /usr/local/cpanel to update my cPanel and WHM. How do I free enough space for these updates? How can I view what files are taking so much space and if they can be deleted? I suspect it's logs of some sort building up because I haven't really used the server at all. How do I prevent this problem in the future?

Here's a pic of disk usage: srv1.jpg

I just want to host my own website but I need to learn how to manage my VPS.

This is probably a foolish beginner question but I'd greatly appreciate all the help I can get. If you can just point me in the right direction where I can learn then I would appreciate even that.

Thank you for your help.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

cPanel requires a minimum of 20 GB of disk space:

Hardware Requirements

In addition, the cPanel & WHM installation and upgrade processes require at least 3 GB of additional disk space for staging purposes. Are you able to have additional space allotted to your VPS?

Thank you.

3. Sam12

Sam12 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hey Michael, thanks for the quick reply.

I will contact the company I rented the VPS from and ask them if they are willing to up my disk space from 10GB to 25GB. How much free space should be allocated to WHM/cPanel/CentOS 6.6 of that 25GB? I only need little space for my own sites because they contain just basic HTML/CSS and some pictures.

If I do indeed get the 25GB, will cPanel/WHM take care of updates on it's own and I won't encounter this problem anymore?

Thank you.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, 25G should be sufficient for the cPanel/WHM updates and operation. The partition setup you posted is configured so there's no separate partition for cPanel. That's recommended, and should work without any issues.

Thank you.