What to do when /usr/local/cpanel fills up?

Sam12

Registered
Aug 4, 2015
Finland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey everyone.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to server administration. I have rented myself a VPS with WHM and cPanel. The server has 1GB RAM, Intel Xeon E5620 @ 2.4GHz and 10GB of SSD space. Recently my e-mail has been filling up with messages from cPanel saying that there is not enough free space in /usr/local/cpanel to update my cPanel and WHM. How do I free enough space for these updates? How can I view what files are taking so much space and if they can be deleted? I suspect it's logs of some sort building up because I haven't really used the server at all. How do I prevent this problem in the future?

Here's a pic of disk usage:srv1.jpg

I just want to host my own website but I need to learn how to manage my VPS.

This is probably a foolish beginner question but I'd greatly appreciate all the help I can get. If you can just point me in the right direction where I can learn then I would appreciate even that.

Thank you for your help.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

cPanel requires a minimum of 20 GB of disk space:

Hardware Requirements

In addition, the cPanel & WHM installation and upgrade processes require at least 3 GB of additional disk space for staging purposes. Are you able to have additional space allotted to your VPS?

Thank you.

Sam12

Registered
Aug 4, 2015
Finland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey Michael, thanks for the quick reply.

I will contact the company I rented the VPS from and ask them if they are willing to up my disk space from 10GB to 25GB. How much free space should be allocated to WHM/cPanel/CentOS 6.6 of that 25GB? I only need little space for my own sites because they contain just basic HTML/CSS and some pictures.

If I do indeed get the 25GB, will cPanel/WHM take care of updates on it's own and I won't encounter this problem anymore?

Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Yes, 25G should be sufficient for the cPanel/WHM updates and operation. The partition setup you posted is configured so there's no separate partition for cPanel. That's recommended, and should work without any issues.

Thank you.