The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

... what to do when your datacenter runs out of IPs? (nameserver issue)

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by ghoti, Feb 8, 2012.

1. ghoti

ghoti Member

Jun 23, 2011
    East London, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    So here is my dilemma. A friend asks me to setup a cPanel server. Fantastic I think... this is going to be fun (I have several cpanel servers already).

So he orders the server from a data center that we have a couple of our boxes in. Since we have plans to setup a hosting type company for extra cash on the side... we thought we would spend well on this.

So we ordered the server. Great hardware, with lots of disk space....
    Then we decided on this box to give cloudlinux a try.. so we purchased a liscence.
    Then we ordered cpanel... great.

So I do the install and everything is spantastic, now we decide to order some software to help us manage the hosting. So I purchase WHMCS, a wicked wordpress theme and bridge (I dont really design websites for a living so I gotta use whats out there).

Now it comes to the point where I need a SSL certificate.. so I order that as well. I realize that it needs its own IP so I login to my datacenter control panel and try order one.... only to get a "technical error". So I contact support and its just my luck.... the vlan I am out of is out of IPs.

wtf :(

So I cant setup any SSL sites on my cpanel and the other problem is I cant setup name servers or anything as I need two Ip`s for that. I have being told they will have some more in the "near future", but cant give me an exact date.

With the cluster system...

Am I able to use one of my other cpanel servers as the primary nameservers? If so how would I go about it? I want the name servers for my cpanel server with the IP issues to be the name servers of a cpanel server I setup in another data center.

Not much I can do about the SSL for now (unless I used or something like that), but I think I can use nameservers on one of my other cpanel servers.

Why type of setup would I need to setup in the clustering to make those name servers authoritive to the domains I have on the "IP-less" cpanel server?
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You could actually setup two name servers on the same IP address. Using the main shared IP address for your name servers will work fine, but you are right that it's not the ideal permanent solution. As for clustering, you should not use a hosting server to host the DNS for other hosting servers. Instead, you should have a dedicated machine (preferably 2) for DNS purposes only. This is where cPanel DNS-Only is useful.

Thank you.