The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do with Certificate signing request?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by a.palmer, Mar 25, 2005.

1. a.palmer

a.palmer Member

I don't know much about SSL, but I want to protect some sensitive information on my homepage.

Using SSL manager, I generated a private KEY, CRT and CSR. But now what? Do I have to send the CSR somewhere to get it signed or something? How do I do that? Do I just paste it into an email and send that?

I hope someone can help me with this. I searched the forum back to 2002 and didn't find anything dealing with such a newbie question.

thanks
    a.palmer

2. a.palmer

a.palmer Member

Helloo? Anybody?

Hello?

Is this question just to stupid to answer, or what?

3. cpanelinfoseeker

cpanelinfoseeker Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    SSL is used to encrypt information being collected and sent on/from your website. It makes sure that the information can not be easily "eavesdropped" on as it makes its way through the internet. Your url will start with "https" instead of "http".

If you are looking to make part of your website private where only a few people with a login name and password can see it then you want to use the "Web Protect" feature. I think from your description that this is what you may be trying to do.

Hope this helps,
    Ron

4. a.palmer

a.palmer Member

Thank you very much for your response. I thought my question might go unnoticed.

I've been using "web protect directories" so far. That was pretty straightforward.

But I am developing a website, www.satvatove.org , which will have some highly confidential client data on it. I will also set up sup mysql databases that need to be secure.

I asked my webhost if I could be sure that the data would be completely safe just using Authentication by password. He said if I really wanted to gaurantee that no one hacks into the site, I can use SSL. So that's where I'm at.

Do you mean that I don't need SSL and that I can be sure that my clients' data will be safe just with the Authentication?

I did a lot of searching on the subject. In principle, I understand what SSL does, but I didn't find anything dealing with the basic questions I have.

Using the SSL manager, I generated a KEY, CRT and CSR. But if when I try to log in with https://www.satvatove.org, I get this:

Safari can’t open the page “https://www.satvatove.org/” because it could not connect to the server “www.satvatove.org”.

This leads me to the conclusion that I am missing some important steps.

Also, I will only need such security on one part of the site. I suppose I would do that using a subdomain? Or is there a way to apply SSL to particular files or directories?

Thanks again for listening.

Sincerely,
    Antoine Palmer

5. a.palmer

a.palmer Member

Um.... Hello?

Anyone out there? It would be really great if someone could give me some pointers. :)

6. Blue|Fusion

Blue|Fusion Well-Known Member

You need to have a dedicated IP for your cpanel account, and then once the CRT and KEY and CSR are created, you can go to SSL Installer page and set it up there.

BTW, you should consider buying a Certificate from CA so most browsers accept the SSL Cert without popping up annoying warnings about the CA unknown.

7. a.palmer

a.palmer Member

Thank you for your help. I've studied all of the optoins in my Cpanel quite thoroughly and I don't find anything about setting up a dedicated IP nor is there any "SSL Installer page".

The thing is, I'm not doing hosting, I'm just renting space for my site and I administer it through Cpanel. As far as I can see, I don't have access to WHM or anything like that. Maybe that explains my clueless questions.

Considering that, is it actually possible for me set up SSL? Or do I need my webhost to set it up for me?

8. casey

casey Well-Known Member

All of these questions are better directed at your host. But yes, your host must set you up on a dedicated IP. You cannot do it yourself.