What to excluide in a backup

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
My WHM is configured to run a nightly backup, which I SFTP a copy off.
However, my service plan with the data centre also includes 100gb of daily backup, which I guess could come in handy should the server ever fall over.
It might make a restore a quicker process if the data centre also had a copy.

I've had an email saying that this backup is over quota, and that I should consider purchasing more space.
But rather than this, could anyone suggest anything that I don't really need to backup, to save space.

I've already excluded the whm backup folder, what's the point in making a backup of a backup ??

ZenHostingTravis

PartnerNOC
May 22, 2020
Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Look no further than the incident in Sweden where the data center caught on fire and people who didn't have off prem backups lost everything.

You could use JetBackup to set up an additional destination and then run the backup process once a month.

Re what to exclude, it depends entirely on your business and its backup needs.

Reactions: cPRex

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
These are always tough to answer as it's really an "it depends" situation. I do like the suggestion of a monthly off-site backup to a remote location. Even if you only do it monthly, your work lost is minimal in the event of a large disaster.

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I perform an off site backup weekly, and also retain the previous weeks backup.
So I'm not overly concerned about not having a backup.

However, as mentioned, the datacenter also offer 100gb of backup space.
This comprises of a weekly full backup with incremental daily backups for a week.

This is enough to just push me over the limit of the data center backup.
I'm really looking for something unimportant like maybe log files, or temp files etc.

Stuff that I wouldn't need in the event of a recovery having to take place.