The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What user is the bandwidth email going to?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by ozzi4648, Feb 26, 2003.

1. ozzi4648

ozzi4648 Guest

If the user goes over bandwith an email is sent to me and the user? So if the site owner has two email address what address does the email get sent to and how does Cpanel know what address to route the email to? Im asking because for the past 5 days, 5 sites are reported as going over bandwidth yet the reseller has not fixed the problem. That leads to believe that 1) Either the reseller is not getting the email 2) The user is not reporting it to the reseller 3) Nobody knows about the problem.
    2 emails per day x 5 domains is alot of email to be getting from over bandwidth users.

2. jimcarter

jimcarter Well-Known Member

hmm I think that the emails are getting sent out with me, only sites arent being suspended any more if they are going over their bandwidth limit, and I havent turned the feature off in tweak settings either,
    I think that the emails are sent to the address that the user has put in when they clicked update contact details in their cpanel, same for the reseller and his base account,
    I usually do a guess email thing aswell in WHM so it guesses and fills in an address for users that havent entered their contact details yet,
    If the reseller hasnt got a contact email in the system or dont use email on that server at all then I can see that this might be a problem,
    in this situation I would suspend the site and then you'll soon get the user/reseller coming to you for help :D

3. ozzi4648

ozzi4648 Guest

Thats what im thinking as well. 99% of our resellers dont have a contact email setup. Its pretty crazy because one would have to look very hard on the control panel to even find this feature. I can see how resellers and regular users would miss this. Something that would force the user to enter a contact email when they initially log into their control panel for the first time may be in order. A flag setup in WHM that says "FORCE USER TO ENTER CONTACT EMAIL" or something. Otherwise, i just cannot see how users get notified.

4. jimcarter

jimcarter Well-Known Member

Yes I totally agree with this,
    alternatively, maybe something similar to Ensim could be introduced where you can enter a user's email when creating the account, so it is just an extra field to be entered,
    if this was added to the wwwacct script then it would definitely help us a lot

5. ozzi4648

ozzi4648 Guest

* BUMP *

QUESTION: What user email address are bandwidth emails being sent to?

ANSWER: Still waiting for one!

6. Damian

Damian Well-Known Member

This is only a guess, but there are two addresses that WHM will know.

- The default user
    - The contact email address entered via cpanel

Why not take a look at your mail log to see what addresse(s) mail is sent to at the times you receive the notification yourself.

7. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

That's one of the things I changed in my custom theme. When they log in, they can clearly see that they should make sure they have a correct contact address. :)

8. Tom Pyles

Tom Pyles Well-Known Member

I've tested this. If the user logs into their Cpanel and updates their contact info, that is the address it goes to. Verify in your WHM that the e-mail address is listed. My users have verified that they are indeed getting the e-mails to that address.