The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What webmail apps do you run / prefer after converting to new maildir?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Metro2, May 30, 2006.

1. Metro2

Metro2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've been reading threads about / thinking about finally converting over to the new maildir system for my cPanel server but I have a few concerns since several of my customers are really dependent on webmail (and of course will be upset when I get rid of NeoMail).

I'm curious to know what other admins here are sticking with - both Horde and Squirrel Mail? And why you've chosen one or both.

I guess one of my biggest concerns is, since I've heard a few negative things about each webmail app, is are Horde and Squirrel going to someday be phased out too? Will I regret recommending that my customers begin migrating over to Horde, only to find that creates more issues a few months down the road?

I get a little bit "antsy" about making any kind of change like this and of course want to keep hassles for my customers to a bare minimum if possible. I'm definitely hesitant about making the conversion, but also concerned about what problems I might be encountering if I don't make the switch. I wonder if the majority of admins have already made the switch, or if most are still sticking with the old system and still have NeoMail / cppop running.

Thanks for any opinions / thoughts on the subject!

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

I've stuck with both Horde and SquirrelMail.

This is simply because some people like one and some like the other.

Personally I prefer SquirrelMail as I find Horde tries to be too much of an all-round organiser. Once you've logged into Horde, you then have to choose 'mail' and then wait whilst the list of messages is fancily formatted and displayed. SquirrelMail seems to do just mail and seems to be quicker. It has less features than Horde, but then when it comes to a webmail app all I'm interested in is dealing with mail.

3. CoolMike

CoolMike Well-Known Member

I also like Squirellmail more then Horde, but unfortunately the layout of Squirellmail ist just ugly...

It's a shame that we loose Neomail, because it was the webmail where we never had problems in the past. the other 2 wemail scripts are not so easy to use as Neomail.

Michael

4. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've only ever allowed Horde on my server, so there was no surprise for customers when I converted. BTW... It's only been a few days since I converted to maildir-courior, so it's hard to say with 100% surety, but my server load seems considerably lower on average since converting.

5. chaloupe

chaloupe Well-Known Member

I have for my server disable all webmail from cPanel by defautl and have install Nutsmail instead. So all client on the server when they do their_site.com/webmail will be on nutsmail interface.

I have change the Alias in the httpd.conf file for the /webmail and /mail and everyone is happy.

Best Regards, :)

6. Metro2

Metro2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you for the replies!