The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Would Block .mov File Upload?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dkz, Apr 12, 2008.

1. dkz

dkz Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have a simple upload script made in flash with a php back end and it works great. The problem I am now having is that the server will not allow file uploads with the extension .mov.

Is there a configuration that would block the upload of a .mov file?

Thanks for the help.

2. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

Your problem may be the file size not the extension.

3. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

You use the words "not allow" and "block", are you getting some kind of error on the upload attempt or is the file just not uploading and saving?. Did you write the script?. Do you know the code enough to see if something about a ".mov" extensions might be parsed oddly and rejected or thrown away. Is this you uploading or a client?. If its a client did you try to eliminate the obvious like file size, naming convention, upload method/technique, etc?.

4. dkz

dkz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies!

I downloaded the flash version of the script and modified the actionscript to fit my needs and I wrote the php backend. This way I can the percent completed of the upload. The post_max_size in my php config is big enough to handle the files and there is no coding to block different file types in the php or the flash script.

I did try renaming the file and tried to uplaod a small file with just the extension .mov with no luck. The script has no problem uploading PDF's EXE's and zip files. I made this upload page for a friend so he can share some business files with colleges.

Any suggestions?

5. Kent Brockman

Kent Brockman Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    ok, let's parse the facts:
    • You tried to upload a small .mov file: no luck
    • You can although upload exe and zip files (no matter the size?) (try uploading a 30 MB zip files and tell me if you succeeded)

I have developed a php script to upload and share privately these files and the problem I have with that was that uploads not only depends on allowing file sizes, you must allow long execution times. So, at the beginning of the php code I've inserted "set_time_limit(0);" and uploaded a php.ini file to that folder containing:

Code:
    register_globals = On
    safe_mode = Off
    upload_max_filesize = 50M
    post_max_size = 50M
    max_execution_time = 3600

"max_execution_time = 3600" assure you that the script may be working for as long as 1 hour, which is enough to upload a file that doesn't weighs more than post_max_size = 50M
    :D

6. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Just for the heck of it, take a small .mov file, rename it to the same filename but with a .wmv extension and try to upload it. Example: mymovie.mov change to mymovie.wmv

If it uploads then you are definitly choking on the extension name. It really appears you are having an issue with the filename and not a size or data format issue, but this would confirm it I think.