What's it take to get proper testing?

ukhost

Jan 8, 2002
Hi,

After changing te update settings and runing a manual update the update stops at:

zlib-devel is up to date

Kind Regards,

Neil

B

bdraco

[quote:436f8b9787][i:436f8b9787]Originally posted by ukhost[/i:436f8b9787]

Hi,

After changing te update settings and runing a manual update the update stops at:

zlib-devel is up to date

Kind Regards,

Neil[/quote:436f8b9787]

What did you change it to ?

ukhost

Jan 8, 2002
Hi,

I tried both EDGE and STABLE, both caused the above.

Kind Regrads,

Neil

B

bdraco

[quote:543fa9c1dc][i:543fa9c1dc]Originally posted by ukhost[/i:543fa9c1dc]

Hi,

I tried both EDGE and STABLE, both caused the above.

Kind Regrads,

Neil[/quote:543fa9c1dc]

Try upcp in a shell .. its trying to do an rsync at that point and may be timing out because you have no rdns entry for your ip.

DefHosting

May 23, 2002
There are enough things to worry about without having to wonder what's going to go wrong on the next cpanel update. A bit more engineering in the software process would be greatly appreciated. CPanel's a great product, no doubt about it, but it has a lot of room for improvement in the way of debugging before releasing.

haze

Dec 21, 2001
Anyone know what the difference between edge / stable and release are? Im not sure which one to tick off.

JustinK

Sep 4, 2001
I can only guess, but edge is probably an early beta, release is beta and stable is one that's gone through beta testing and should be fit to use for those that don't like having their servers used for testing.

vulkan

Registered
Sep 22, 2002
The end users viewpoint...

Assuming what's being discussed here is the recent automatic update of/to CP5 software by the CP manufacturer without the hosting suppliers consent/approval?

I'm an end user, a punter, the bottom of the food chain if you will.
And this is my point of view.

I'm a site designer. I'd had a good relationship with a hosting provider for several years, in fact some of my sites are still hosted there, on their original software. Then they decided to start using a new site management application (NOT CP - Sphera). Coincidentaly I had to host a new site for a valuable customer and ran straight into three weeks of absolute hell - absolutely nothing worked properly and the documentation was a joke (www.sphera.com check it out for yourself).

Vowing never to involve myself with Sphera software again, I spent several days researching hosting providers and finally settled on one. THEY use CP software.
It looked OK. Between my signing up and actually installing my, by now very unhappy, customer's site on the new host, it appears some sort of update occured.

Several facilities misbehaved, I found the intergrated BB software was totally undocumented, error messages popped up when most scripts were installed, site stats froze, the email system played up and, understandably I think, I complained in no uncertain terms.
As a result of this I had a pretty major falling out with the new hosting provider and, had I not already had to do this once previously with this customer's site, I would have simply walked away. Under the exceptional circumstances I was unable to do this and had to swallow hard and stick it out.

However, plans to migrate my other sites from the previous host to the new (CP using) host are now on indefinite hold. Unless of course they start using better software...
Frankly I wouldn't touch a hosting provider that used hosting software that could be a updated at will by the manufacturer and replaced with a bug infested release with a ten foot bargepole!

That's the bottom line folks. Using CP and allowing the manufacturer to, effectively, sabotage your users web sites is pure undiluted lunacy. Your customers will simply walk away - and just where are you without customers?

To the people at CP I'd say: You may see yourselves at the top of the hill and think everything runs downslope, so you can do pretty much what you like, but please bear in mind that the foundation upon which your hill rests is end users - not the hosting providers, not the resellers, but the actual website customers and their users. If you continue with antics like your recent ones you'll find that being on top of a collapsing hill isn't a very pleasant experience!

B

bdraco

vulkan,

The critical update was put out to fix the problems with the previous build, we don't exactly want to leave our customers with a build that has problems. Your host can disable updates completly if they choose to do so.

vulkan

Registered
Sep 22, 2002
[quote:b8d9f15e1b][i:b8d9f15e1b]Originally posted by bdraco[/i:b8d9f15e1b]

vulkan,

The critical update was put out to fix the problems with the previous build, we don't exactly want to leave our customers with a build that has problems. Your host can disable updates completly if they choose to do so. [/quote:b8d9f15e1b]

Nice try - but it doesn't cut any ice with me friend. I'm in business to make money - I do that by keeping customers happy. That's what my host tries to do too. It seems that's what most people who want to stay in business do.
Sending a full update out to customers who have elected to receive 'critical security issue only' updates and loading their system with bugs isn't what most of us would call keeping customers happy - unless you and your customers are into the SM kink...

Anyway, if that's the attitude, fair enough. I'll just stay clear of CP user hosting providers in future and you and I don't have anything more to discuss, do we?

Bye!

haze

Dec 21, 2001
[quote:ca33a993ee][i:ca33a993ee]Originally posted by iminteractive[/i:ca33a993ee]

Anyone know what the difference between edge / stable and release are? Im not sure which one to tick off.[/quote:ca33a993ee]
Nick, perhaps you could explain what the difference between the above?

B

bdraco

[quote:c050264f3a][i:c050264f3a]Originally posted by iminteractive[/i:c050264f3a]

[quote:c050264f3a][i:c050264f3a]Originally posted by iminteractive[/i:c050264f3a]

Anyone know what the difference between edge / stable and release are? Im not sure which one to tick off.[/quote:c050264f3a]
Nick, perhaps you could explain what the difference between the above?[/quote:c050264f3a]

Edge = Bleeding Edge (Daily)
Release = Standard Release (Weekly)
Stable = A Release build which has proven to be good in the field (Monthly)

Note: these times are approx.

In general

Stability : Stable & Release & Edge : New Features

Maximiliam

Feb 24, 2002
The recent update function does not help much, okay, your software won't be updated at all.

Then when you do decide to update, you update it manually. But who knows, you might update to a beta build ??

As far as i know its not easy to select what build you want to update to? Is it all automatic?

If there was a way to be able to update to a certain build. Knowing what the build is exactly. That would be really really nice.

haze

Dec 21, 2001
[quote:d10cb2d8bd][i:d10cb2d8bd]Originally posted by Maximiliam[/i:d10cb2d8bd]

The recent update function does not help much, okay, your software won't be updated at all.

Then when you do decide to update, you update it manually. But who knows, you might update to a beta build ??

As far as i know its not easy to select what build you want to update to? Is it all automatic?

If there was a way to be able to update to a certain build. Knowing what the build is exactly. That would be really really nice.[/quote:d10cb2d8bd]
You select the type of build you want under update uptions, if for the first time you update to a edge or release, when you do update and have the option available, you can do another update and downgrade to the latest stable, by doing another manuall update. Very good idea Nick, props.

akashik

Oct 9, 2001
nice!

Have changed our servers to cpanel/WHM (stable) which should head off some of the 'quirks'

Thanks Nick - great job. It's been a busy month for you :D

Greg Moore