The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's new in cPanel 7?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joshua Clinard, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Joshua Clinard

My server was upgraded to cPanel 7.2 today, and I see almost no improvements, other than Squrrelmail. AWStats STILL has not been updated, even though 5.6 has been out for weeks! PHP has not been upgraded! 4.2 is almost a year old. I did notice that phpMyAdmin was upgraded, but that's it!

Don't really care all that much about the others, what I REALLY want is AWStats 5.6!

I can't wait till HostGUI comes out if you guys are not going to keep programs up-to-date. HostGUI IS going to have up-to-date versions of all software.

In spite of all that, what is new in cPanel 7?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. jamesbond

jamesbond Well-Known Member

Hostgui? is that the control panel with the ever shifting release date :D I checked their website a couple of times somewhere in 2001/2002, nothing seems to have changed. You are actually talking about a control panel that might not even exist! :D

If you want to upgrade php just run buildapache from WHM.
    A Cpanel/WHM upgrade is NOT an apache upgrade.

3. M|22

M|22 Member

hahahhaa, hostgui = vaporware

it'll never be released

anyway, you control what version of PHP is on your server, you can install a different version of phpMyAdmin

you can do so much more from the CLI than through whm

i suggest reading up on cpanel a bit as you don't seem to know some of the basics

4. jamesbond

jamesbond Well-Known Member

Well well well... guess what the latest EDGE release has in store for you?

Mon Jul 14 11:51:37 EDT 2003
    7.x Build#40
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

awstats 5.6
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

http://layer1.cpanel.net/ChangeLog

#4 jamesbond, Jul 14, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2003
  5. sky

sky Well-Known Member

sometimes I really hope ppl go READ THE F****** MANUAL (RTFM) before actually commenting on stuffs. Or are you here to lobby support for a vaporware?

I have been looking at HOSTGUI's development. I don't know about you. but where I come from, when we talk about SDLC and such, we have milestones to hit. Nothing can be ever perfect. If you want to wait till a perfect version then release a software, then it will never become anything more than just a concept.

HOSTGUI is just that. They have been talking about it for ages. Changed released dates and now they say they gonna release in summer. Not I wonder WHICH summer is that. Don't get me wrong, I support any good software (or even attempts at it) but it is something to talk about it and another thing to actually do something about it.

btw, how would you know that HOSTGUI has the latest updates of software? You working in their advertising dept?

there are many aspects to look at before making or updating a software, especially one on a system like cpanel. It will affect thousands of servers. I don't think the rest of us would want a software version that is the latest, yet has alot of issues and such. We want STABLE versions that will not trigger our customers to wake us up in the middle of the night and telling us "THE MAIL IS NOT SENDING OUT!"

Well, at least for the case of HOSTGUI the mail is really not sending out. Coz I don't really see a working system from them anytime soon :P

6. Joshua Clinard

I know HostGUI has the latest software, because Greg has posted messages on HostGUI forums, and on JaguarPC forums saying that it does. HostGUI is indeed functioning software, not vaporware. Some admins are already using beta versions. It will be out this summer, I predict before August 15th.

Since I am not the Host, I cannot manually upgrade the software on the machine. cPanel should update it so people don't HAVE to do it manually. It should be as secure as possible right out of the box. In other words, it should update php in order to fix the security problems in 4.2.

I am glad that the new Edge has 5.6, but how long will it be until it makes it into a stable release? I am willing to bet that HostGUI will be out before that happens. And no, I do NOT work for Jag, or HostGUI, I am just a very satisfied customer that would like to see AWStats updated before HostGUI comes out. I also know several server admins, and I make reccomendations to them about what software to use on occastion. The server that I used to admin at Rackshack.net was a very busy one, and I keep in touch with the current staff, and they often refer people to me when their users ask them for advice.

7. howard

howard Well-Known Member

Have you asked your host this question? cpanel has supported 4.3 for quite some time now, they may have their own reasons for staying at 4.2, futhermore since most people like running php with specfic modules or options then getting the upgrade right for all vast number of cpanel machines could lead to a major diaster

8. Marty

Marty Well-Known Member

Auto upgrades for php for all cpanel boxes are near impossible as not all cpanel users run the same configuration. I, for one, would not want it. You host has access to the tools to do this upgrade with automated scripts from the command line. It is not cpanel's fault if they do not take advantage of those tools.

If I were a betting man, I would take your bet on Hostgui being out before Awstats is released in a stable version of cpanel!

9. dogslife

dogslife Member

HostGUI Newbies

I just had a good time reading through the forums at HostGUI. I remember some of the messages from the last time I read them, about a year ago. Those poor miserable souls. What do they do for a living, how can they sit around and wait, like, like Labradors waiting on the next bone to be thrown.

It is truely a sad bunch, but it might make for a good "reality tv show"! Episode 13 : "When poor young Tim finds out that HostGUI actually has bugs"

Sorry Joshua, all in good fun.

10. tAzMaNiAc

tAzMaNiAc Well-Known Member

You expect Cpanel to do everything for you? What a shame.
    Many people have many different configurations. One little thing from PHP or a SMALL update from some opensource software can break anything (or everything??).

You say you used to admin a busy server? You probably admin'ed a busy server with pretty minimal knowledge *because* rackshack did the hard work for you. That's not a true host, sorry.
    If you know crap, you'd be able to compile apache and add PHP 4.3.2 on your OWN!

Jeez.

11. sky

sky Well-Known Member

taz: you echo my sentiments exact to the dot!

joshua: Since you do not own the host, I assume you cannot effect changes or know how extensive cpanel can be in terms of config. When I say extensive, I mean it gives the ability for everyone to have their own config and wants. Your PROBLEM is not with cpanel but with your host. You SHOULD TALK TO YOUR HOST. Really! Why rant here when we cannot do anything coz your host thinks it is better not to have it.

I for one DO NOT upgrade immediately. Why? Coz I just want to make sure that new releases have as minimal bugs as possible. Nothing comes out without bugs. I have been in the IT line for more than a decade doing work from simple scripts to databases that are close to one terabyte in size. And I have NOT seen anyone that can produce a piece of code that has NO BUGS. That is ridiculous. Even microsoft with all their programmers (which are supposely top notch) still has lots of bugs.

Like all that said above, nothing is 100% full proof, nothing can be truly automated, and you need real admin skills to handle a server. If you only have cpanel and nothing much in terms of skills, i suggest (like so many others have) go and get a REAL sysadmin.

Hope you are not offended, I just think that sometimes people live in a fantasy world.

12. M|22

M|22 Member

rackshack is unmanaged, they don't do anything regarding server administration for end users

13. Joshua Clinard

What M|22 said is exactly correct. With Rackshack.net, you have to do everything yourself. I do know how to do most things on Linux myself. I did talk with my host, and they said that could not install AWStats 5.6 because it would get overwritten by the next cPanel release, hence why I requested adding it. What is wrong with making a request? Hmm? Obviously nothing, since it was apparantly added to the latest relase! Since I have it on my server now, I have nothing else to complain about, but why insult me just for making a suggestion? Some people might refuse to buy cpanel after being insulted like that. They are much nicer over at Jag. Of course I still like cPanel, it's a great product, and who knows when HostGUI will come out, or if it will be any good. I hope it will, because I really like the look of it. Although cPanel is an excellent product, it severely lacks a nice-looking interface.

By the way, NO ONE answered my original question: What is new in cPanel?

14. howard

howard Well-Known Member

the main differences are

squirelmail accessible in /webmail if the admin has checked it in whm

mailman/exim upgraded to latest vers (aslthough the exim has caused large amounts of posts)

xskin as the default skin (w/the previous default ones being dumped over time)

optional setting in the spamassasin menu to allow redirection of mail flagged as spam by sa to a different mailbox other than the default inbox

You could install awstats on your own account if you need a later release than the one on your server?

15. tAzMaNiAc

tAzMaNiAc Well-Known Member

He could, but probably doesn't know how.... or wants others to do his bidding :D

It's very simple to install AWStats.. Don't you agree, Howard? :D

Brenden