The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the deal with the FTP servers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by freakdrive, Dec 22, 2004.

1. freakdrive

freakdrive Member

I was recently having a problem with ProFTP (the passwords weren't resetting, and no-one could log in), so I used the 'Switch to Pure-ftpd' button in the hopes that pureftp would work out better.

I pressed the button once, and the script failed. I don't recall the details, but proftp was still running, and pureftp wasn't.

I pressed it again, and it seemed to run correctly. Pureftp is now running, however, in the 'Restart Services' section in WHM, the ftp link says 'FTP Server (ProFTPd)'. Shouldn't this say 'FTP Server (PureFTPd)'?

I have since encountered the same problem with Pureftp. No one can log in via ftp to the server. Fantastic.

Since there are fewer support scripts and discussions about Pureftp here on the forums than ProFTP, so I have decided to try to switch back to ProFTP and take my chances. I click on the 'FTP Configuration' link again, but the screen looks like this:

Installed Ftp Server
    pure-ftpd
    <button>Switch to Pure-ftpd</button>

(note the button still says 'Pure-ftpd')

In conclusion I have 2 issues:

1) PureFTP doesn't work. No one can log in, it rejects all the passwords.
    2) I can't switch back from PureFTP to ProFTP. The button is wrong.

Anyone have any ideas?

(I am running FreeBSD 5.x)

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Did you log out and log back into WHM to allow the link to change ? What version of cpanel ? Have you tried /scripts/upcp or perhaps /scripts/upcp --force to see if that helps any ? I'd be more worried about the fact that you had problems with proftpd and rather than find out what was wrong you slapped a bandaid solution on by switiching software. If the proftpd data was corrupt, i think that'd cause issue for building the pureftpd.conf no ? If you go to the are in WHM where you changed ftpd servers, does it have an option to switch to pro? or does it say switch to pure ?

3. freakdrive

freakdrive Member

Thanks for your reply. I am a cpanel/whm newbie, and I am trying to get a few things ironed out.

I did log in and out, yes.

I am running:
    WHM 9.9.8 cPanel 9.9.8-R118
    FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE i386 - WHM X
    v3.1.0

I just tried /scripts/upcp, and it completed, but it didn't do anything to solve the problem.

The reason I switched was because proftp wouldn't allow anyone to log in, even after changing a password. I also read on the forums that a few people were having these problems, and that pure ftp lead to fewer headaches... so I switched.

Right now the button still says 'Switch to Pure-ftpd' (and it says the installed server is 'pure-ftpd').

Is there a script I can run somewhere to switch back to pro-ftp? If I can switch it back, then perhaps I can try to solve the proftp problem again.

4. paradoxic

paradoxic Member
    PartnerNOC

I've got the same issue here. Makes for real happy customers calling/emailing me today :D

5. haze

haze Well-Known Member

I'd get your cpanel distributor to take a look at that then. Might be a bug, but could just be configuration issues. They should be able to assist you or give you more direction.

6. freakdrive

freakdrive Member

We bought our license right from the cpanel site. I guess that means I just create a bug ticket? There are many other posts about problems like this, so I'm not feeling particularily optimistic.

We are not even live yet, we've just been running this server for a few weeks to test it, and it already seems to be falling apart.

7. haze

haze Well-Known Member

You could submit a support ticket then to cpanel and check bugzilla, if its not in there create a new report. I'm not to familiar with freebsd otherwise i'd offer you assistance with your issue myself.

8. autumnwalker

autumnwalker Member

I have the same problem. I submitte a trouble ticket and hope to hear back a response. I am also running BSD 4.9

9. babyboom

babyboom Registered

I had this problem before on my another new Server, and this is my Server info:

WHM 9.9.9 cPanel 9.9.9-R70
    Fedora i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

My problem is FTP Server failed when I switch from Pro to Pure and vice versa, and Cpanel didn't create FTP Account or Passowrd , even it said that everything is done.So that no one can log-in to FTP Account. And I think that's the problem of Cpanel when it's installed, so I start :
    - Install and Compile Pure-FTP and Pro-FTP manual in SSH (yum, update or up2date or upcp is not solve this problem) , switch to pure-ftpd (I prefer pure than pro)and restart pure-ftpd in SSH (don't restart in Cpanel ,or it will be shown up failed again). After restart pure-ftpd in SSH, log-in to WHM ,wowoooo, it is turn green now as pure-ftpd running.
    - Ussually all info about FTP account (user and Password) is store in /etc/pro-ftpd ,but when I created FTP Account in Cpanel ,non information is stored in /etc/pro-ftpd , so I think Cpanel doesn't excute and store those information in the right folder. So I decide to replace all sys file that control FTP in Cpanel/bin from another working Cpanel (lucky I have 2 Server). After replaced, amazing I can create and change Pass and Account show up in Cpanel, and everyone now can log-in to FTP with no problem. Take a look in /etc/pro-ftpd , all information about FTP accounts are all here. Phew.... It's done. If you don't have the sys file of Cpanel in bin folder, I think you should ask your Server Provider reinstall your Cpanel.

Good Luck.

10. ozarkhost

ozarkhost Active Member

11. bullethost696

bullethost696 Well-Known Member

Hmm, cheers ozarkhost will bookmark that

12. ozarkhost

ozarkhost Active Member

Glad I could help rather frustrating issue