The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the .filter file format?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bwechner, Jun 24, 2004.

1. bwechner

bwechner Registered

I would like to set thinjgs up with Cpanel that emails sent an address hosted on the server tehre are both kept and forwarded to an external address, but cant' find any answers in documentation anywhere and experiementation has led to wasted time and frustration thus far with what seems a rather crytpic system.

It seems I need to use an email filter, and a forwarding system won't work. This is the premise (which is open to correction).

Using a filter I see good examples for redicrecting emails and I also see the rules are stored in a .filter file in my home directory.

It might read for example:

$header_to: is "bernd@thisaddress.com"+++++++ bernd@otheraddress.com

which will forward from thisaddress to otheraddress just fine.

It might read:

$header_to: is "bernd@thisaddress.com"+++++++ \bernd@thisaddress.com

which will do nothing (as expected, forwarding thisaddress to thisaddress). But I have found no way to combine them.

What I'm really after is an elusive document describing the rules to filter rules ;-).

Surely others must have a similar need? To send mails to one address while keeping a copy at this address?

I could get fancy and write a damned filter to pipe it through, but surely Cpanel can do it and I'm just missing something obvious? Or?

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

If I'm correct in what you want, all you need to do is create a POP account for the email address, AND set up a forwarder also. This would put the email in the POP account AND forward it.

3. bwechner

bwechner Registered

POP account?

I'm not sure where I find POP accounts on the cPanel menus, I only see under Mail:

Mail Manager Main Menu

Web Mail
    Add/Remove Accounts
    Default Address
    Autoresponders
    E-mail Filtering
    Forwarders
    Mailing Lists
    Spam Assassin
    Modify Mail Exchanger (MX Entry)

Is there something I'm missing?

4. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Add/Remove Accounts means POP accounts.

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

6. pubwvj

pubwvj Active Member

I wish that were the correct documentation but it is not. Prove me wrong, please.

I too have been looking for docs on the .filter but without sucess. The docs you refer to are for the .forward file as explained in the docs. I've tried using the Exim filter language in the .filter file using a text editor to work on it but all to no avail.

If someone really has a way of making the Exim .forward format work in the .filter file I would love to know how. Alternatively I would love to see the docs on the .filter file.

-Walter

7. rsperko

rsperko Registered

I was just able to get my .filter file to work. I had to edit it, create a bunk entry in cpanel and delete the bunk entry. This seems to be required to have cpanel read the file.

8. JamieW

JamieW Member

I agree. Nowhere in that doc do I find the specs that describe the "+++++++" part and the like, as in the original poster's examples.

This is a doc I've been searching all over to find, to no avail. Either it doesn't exist, or it's close to unfindable (google and all other search engines I've tried all ignore the "+" as a searchable character). Or, quite possibly, I'm searching for the wrong thing.