The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's up with editing - can you edit FTP users, sub domains, etc??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by johncanfield, Apr 29, 2011.

1. johncanfield

johncanfield Registered

Finally I am breaking away from 1and1 (after several years) and was quite used to their custom control panel, a lot of it sucked, but I was used to it :cool:. With their control panel, practically anything was editable, i.e., if I wanted to repoint an FTP user to a different directory, that was simple. You made your changes and Saved it.

Continuing on with the FTP example, unless I'm missing something with cPanel (I have used it and Plesk previously for other hosting accounts), I cannot specify another directory. It seems you can change the password, quota, or delete it, but can't give it another destination directory. Same situation for subdomains. What I've had to do is delete the FTP user (or the subdomain) and then create it with the new directory.

What am I missing here? Surely this isn't the way it was designed?

Thanks - John

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello John,

For the existing implementation of created FTP users, the user would need to be removed and re-added to change the directory path for that FTP user account. If you'd like to request that the path be editable without removing that user, we have a feature request forum where the idea could be suggested. It does sound like a very useful addition to the cPanel > FTP Accounts area to have the path editable.

The feature request forum is at the following location:

Feature Requests for cPanel and WHM

Thanks!

3. johncanfield

johncanfield Registered

Well - Hmmm! I'm amazed to discover that I have found the only way to edit a document root for an FTP user and sub domain :eek:. Thanks for the answer Tristan (as distasteful as it is!)

I'll make a feature request.

John