The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel Group Users

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by omicron009, Dec 20, 2003.

1. omicron009

omicron009 Member

ok, im extremely new to this and am a little overhelmed right now. My questions is simple. I want to give another use root access to the server. I went to "Manage Wheel Group Users" and theres was a list of possible usernames that I could add. I choose "adm" to add to the wheel group. now how does he login?

now when i login to the server, I use http://IP.2086. it then asks me for a username and password. And I log in. how woudl the other person login?

2. Devil Inside

Devil Inside Well-Known Member

the user can login at your server's IP with their username.

Then type the command:

su -

then the password for root when prompted.

You should also login as a user - then su - to root rather than logging in directly as root.

3. omicron009

omicron009 Member

where would to person type the command "su" ? when i go to http://IP.2086 I just get a popup login window. Theres only room to type the username and password.

also, if the user is logging in with the root password, i don't see how that is very secure. shouldn't they have there own password.

4. Devil Inside

the su - command is typed at the command prompt after logging in.

As for the password question - I'll let someone else answer. I'm not 100% sure on that.

5. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

A super user logs in with their own password. Root password logs in as root with any username.

6. omicron009

omicron009 Member

I don't have a command prompt. Like i said before, i just go to http://IP.2086 and I just get a popup login window. the only thing that works for that login window is my username and root password. also when I add a user to the wheel group it never asks for a password. it just says "Users Currently in the wheel group: root,adm"

like i said, Im extremely new at this and a bit overhelmed, so im sorry if these are stupid questions. I appreciate all the help. thanks

7. Devil Inside

ok - sorry I didn't understand before.

So you want to give them root WHM access?

I thought you meant root SSH access...

8. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Wheel group users is for SSH access. To give someone root access to WHM without them being root, you can make them a reseller and in the privileges options just check "All Features (warning: root access)".

9. omicron009

omicron009 Member

basically I want to give a friend access to WMH, he is going to be helping me out alot with setting up peoples hosting accounts, etc. I want him to be able to basically have most of the options that I have when I login to WHM. Although i trust this person, I don't want to give him my username and root password cause this is an internet friend, so you never know and I don't want to take any chances.

10. damainman

damainman Well-Known Member

for that just create a resellers account, u both would share..... that should prevent him access as root.. but still allow him to add clients, etc.

11. omicron009

omicron009 Member

ok, i've got the reseller account created and I added the account to the wheel group. but when i try logging into WHM using the username and pass of this new account i get denied.