The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When is the next Stable coming out? -9.9.9-S15 has been too long

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SupermanInNY, Mar 16, 2005.

1. SupermanInNY

SupermanInNY Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the new stable release.. is it in the works? (of course it is), is there a date looming out there?

-Alon.

2. timdorr

timdorr Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Just use the RELEASE branch? That's considered production quality. STABLE only exists for the ultra-paranoid.

3. krisdv

krisdv Well-Known Member

You can call me ultra-paranoid but I prefer to stick to stable also. I also wonder why it takes almost 9 days in between two (announced) builds (144 & 147)?

4. SupermanInNY

Oh.. I' Ultra-Paranoid alright!
    I'm happy to see new features and enhancements as the next guy, but on my production box I'm not moving an inch without a stable/official relaeas.
    Even when PHP comes out with new releases, I'm waiting at least a week till I do an upgrade and indeed PHP proved there were Major security release updates only days after their release (in the PHP case). (yes,. this is in history of 4.3.4 and up versions for anyone who can still remember that long).

if cPanel will eliminate the Stable option, then I'll up myself to the RELEASE, but until they do so,. I'll be one step back behind everybody.

-Alon.

5. haze

haze Well-Known Member

The whole point of stable is to use tried tested releases only. Just decided one day to turn X edge into stable isn't going to cut it. The product needs to be stablised in order for a lable to be slapped on it saying "STABLE". Wait it out, or switch to a faster pace release such as release or current, when it comes it comes.

6. SupermanInNY

True. But previous Stable releases were 2 months apart or less. We are over the 3 months period, so it seemed a bit long.
    Oh well, I'll wait it out for another month.

-Alon.

7. takeover

takeover Member

and so they should be, stable = really safe ... which means you're going to miss out on some stuff, what difference does it make if they turn a release into a stable? if you are so concerned about being up to date just switch to release.

8. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    cPanel even states that Release is the preferred build to run. Personally I find stable not the best to run either for the fact it can take too long to get needed fixes.

Build Types
    EDGE Edge is the bleeding edge tree. While it has the newest features; It has undergone the least amount of testing (if any). You generally shouldn't run this build unless you need a bug fix or feature in it. Once an equivalent CURRENT or RELEASE build has been released, you should switch away from this.
    CURRENT Current builds are more mature then the EDGE builds since they have been tested in a production environment.
    RELEASE Release builds are the prefered builds to run. They are generally current enough to have the latest bugfixes and new features, but without the worry of new bugs being introduced.
    STABLE Stable builds are for the consverative people who do not wish to run the latest release.

9. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Over the yrs we have had less trouble running edge than we have with stable or release.

Right now all our boxes are on edge and centos v4 and are running perfect

10. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Same here - I tend to run EDGE and upgrade it when I see something worthwhile pop up in the changelog - I subscribe to the RSS feed which helps keep in touch with it ;)