When updating, cpanel overwrites exim configuration

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hello,

How are you making changes to the exim configuration exactly? All changes to configuration files for exim should be made through WHM>>Service Configuration >> Exim configuration Manger

ema_eltuti

Jun 16, 2015
Argentina
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

How are you making changes to the exim configuration exactly? All changes to configuration files for exim should be made through WHM>>Service Configuration >> Exim configuration Manger
If I make the configuration from the exim manager, when updating cpanel, the changes are not lost?

In the exim.conf I have configured a router that performs a round-robin of IP addresses for sending mail. Every time I update cpanel, the modifications to the exim.conf file are lost.

ema_eltuti

Jun 16, 2015
Argentina
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I can't edit the follow router in the Exim Configuration Manager

lookuphost:
driver = dnslookup
domains = ! +local_domains
#ignore verisign to prevent waste of bandwidth
ignore_target_hosts = +loopback : 64.94.110.0/24
headers_add = "${perl{mailtrapheaders}}"
transport = remote_smtp

i need this configuration:

send_to_smarthost:
driver = manualroute
condition = "${perl{checkspam}}"
domains = ! +local_domains
ignore_target_hosts = 0.0.0.0 : 127.0.0.0/8
headers_add = "X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report\n\
X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - $primary_hostname\n\
X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - $original_domain\n\
X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [$originator_uid $originator_gid] / [$caller_uid $caller_gid]\n\
X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - $sender_address_domain\n"
transport = remote_smtp
route_list = * "${readfile{/etc/exim/roundrobin/ip.txt}}"

I need help.

Last edited by a moderator:

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
If I make the configuration from the exim manager, when updating cpanel, the changes are not lost?
Correct. cPanel will overwrite changes made directily to the exim configuration file but not when you make changes within the editor inside WHM.

In the exim.conf I have configured a router that performs a round-robin of IP addresses for sending mail. Every time I update cpanel, the modifications to the exim.conf file are lost.
This can be added to /etc/exim.conf.local if you want to add it manually, this won't be overwritten.

I'd advise you read the documentation on the Exim Configuration Manager as well: Exim Configuration Manager | cPanel & WHM Documentation

executorbrandon

Registered
Mar 27, 2020
Cranberry Twp, PA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Just add /etc/exim.conf to the /etc/cpanelsync.exclude file and restart the cpanel service then it won't overwrite the file.

I had this issue as well and tried the most practical way of backing up my exim configuration and restoring but after a few updates cPanel wouldn't accept the old configuration.

Others using v86 and up have edited the /etc/cpupdate.conf and set UPDATES=never or UPDATES=manual (forces banner click to update)

You are also correct when editing those advanced configurations for they CANNOT be edited within WHM->Exim->Advanced and MUST be edited via command line. If you try to add the new custom configuration via WHM it will just break exim.

Hope this helps

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Just add /etc/exim.conf to the /etc/cpanelsync.exclude file and restart the cpanel service then it won't overwrite the file.

That's a horrible idea, this means that you will not get necessary updates. You should not do this, it's more likely that you will break exim doing this than doing any other thing. The supported method of doing this is to add customizations as I indicated previously.

You are also correct when editing those advanced configurations for they CANNOT be edited within WHM->Exim->Advanced and MUST be edited via command line. If you try to add the new custom configuration via WHM it will just break exim.
If added properly this is not true, the only instance where exim will break is if you incorrectly add items, add syntactically incorrect items etc..