The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are Others Folder in Disk Space Usage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by quangnhat1401, Dec 26, 2010.

1. quangnhat1401

quangnhat1401 Registered

Hi all,

I'm a newbie. I've linux serer w cPanel. When I checked my hosting Disk space yesterday, I found the Other (folder) in the graph, that represent disk usage figures relative to each other, is about 100Mb. I want to clean it but don't know where it is.

So, how can I locate the Other folder?

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Other is not a literal directory or subdirectory. Other is the total disk usage of files that your cPanel account user owns that are not located in your account's home directory. Examples of these files might be Mailman archives or backup files that are owned by your cPanel account user and located on a partition that has quotas enabled.

If you are the server administrator, you can run the following shell commands as root to find all files owned by a specific user and pipe the output to a file that you can view:

Code:
    # find / -user $USER > /root/list_of_files.txt
    # less /root/list_of_files.txt
    Replace $USER with the actual cPanel account username. After entering the less command, you can use the arrow keys and [Page-Up] and [Page-Down] keys to scroll through the file. Press the [Q] key to exit less.

If you are not the server's root administrator, you will need to ask your host to investigate and tell you what files your cPanel account user owns that are not located in your home directory.

The following section in our documentation explains the Disk Space Usage display in cPanel:

Disk Space Usage

3. quangnhat1401

quangnhat1401 Registered

Thanks,

1. I did it but still cannot find any files outside the /home/$user folder :mad:

2. I want to show the size of these files in list_of_files.txt file. What command can I do?

3. I find a file named $domain_name in /home/$user/access-logs. It is about 100mb? What is it? Can I delete or reduce its size?

#3 quangnhat1401, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  4. garrettp

garrettp Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    /home/$user/access-logs is a symlink to the user's Apache logs in /usr/local/apache/domlogs/$user/. Removing/clearing these will also clear those files, removing the ability to generate web/ftp statistics for the period since the last time logs were processed.

Most of the time, a lot of space is used by the .spamassassin/ directory that users can't normally see (show with ls -la) because of SpamAssassin's Bayesian database store. This store can be wiped, but everything SA has learned about spam on that account will be reset.

5. MironJ

MironJ Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    To Jared or someone else from cPanel Staff:
    Does is possible to add popup window or a new page where will be list of all files that are counted under "Other usage"?

Running find command on large hdd's can take a few hours until finish and will produce high hdd I/O and cpu load.