The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are the FTP LOGS!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SHSaeed, Jul 5, 2002.

1. SHSaeed

SHSaeed Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

We have this guy hosted with us who has a reseller acount and one of the account he has created.. well, he has not changed the DNS for that domain, so it's pointing to another host. However, when I do 'last', I see that he logs in all the time through FTP and he's logged in up to 60 minutes each time. I can't seem to find a log for his domain since he can't use his domain to connect to our server, and I can't find anything in the other logs to know what he's up to. Where is his activity logged? How can I find out? Any help would be highly appriciated.

2. NetEndeavors

NetEndeavors Member

Take a look in /usr/local/apache/domlogs -- you should find your ftp logs for each hosted account there....

;)

3. SHSaeed

SHSaeed Well-Known Member

That's the first thing I did. But as I said, this user has not pointed his domain to our server, so he's either using IP or one of the other domains to connect to our server and I can't seem to find what long he's using.

4. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

Depending on how you have your server configured as far as logging, you will *probably* have FTP details logged to /var/log/messages- and via that you should be able to determine what user's are connecting, when, how often, and if they are successful or not.

5. ecoutez

ecoutez Well-Known Member

'last', /var/log/messages, /var/log/xferlog

The 'last' command will search through the binary file /var/log/wtmp where the FTP sessions should appear. Try 'last' alone to see the last several logins, or check out the man page for more.

/var/log/messages should also show the login - something like &(ftp) session opened for user joeblow by (uid=0)&

/var/log/xferlog will show any uploads/downloads. If you're interested in his 'activity' this is probably what you're looking for.

- Jason