Where can I rewrite the "max defers and failures" email warning?

domeneas

Sep 20, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,

so I edited /usr/local/cpanel/etc/exim/perl/mail_permissions to rewrite the text:

Domain domene.events has exceeded the max defers and failures per hour (5/5 (100%)) allowed. Message discarded.

to something a little less technical and more informative, but it is not taking the rewrite after the file edit and an exim restart.

Any hints on where I am supposed to do it?

Thanks

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston

domeneas

Sep 20, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator

domeneas

Sep 20, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
This is the email that goes out. Like stated in the first post, the only place I can even find the text is in /usr/local/cpanel/etc/exim/perl/mail_permissions, but editing that and restarting Exim does not give the translated version when I trigger it with a test.

I only want to translate the line"Domain example.com has exceeded the max defers and failures per hour (16/5 (25%)) allowed. Message discarded." to something customers actually understand.
Code:

Subject: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

Date: 27. september 2017 kl. 15.23.06 CEST

To: [email protected]

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]_I_sendt_an_email_to.com
Domain example.com has exceeded the max defers and failures per hour (16/5 (25%)) allowed. Message discarded.
Reporting-MTA: dns; myserver.com

Action: failed
Final-Recipient: rfc822;[email protected]_I_sendt_an_email_to.com

Last edited by a moderator:

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @domeneas

I see this isn't the notification this is the actual bounce. This is part of /etc/exim.pl.local:

Code:
/etc/exim.pl.local:            $enforce_mail_permissions_data = ":fail: Domain $domain has exceeded the max defers and failures per hour ($currentmail/$maxmails ($percentage\%)) allowed. Message discarded.";
While you potentially could modify this, I can't guarantee the changes would remain after an exim update or restart.

Thanks!