Where do I begin in Web Hosting?

citidm

Registered
Dec 1, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hello,

I am a web designer and developer looking to expand my offerings to my clients. I figured I'd learn more about web hosting. I got a reseller vps account so I can learn about the process and play with my own websites in the process so not to mess up client sites.

My Questions:

1. How does it all work? Name Servers, DNS Zones, Creating new accounts, packages etc? Example, For a new site that just buys a domain name, what would be my first step from there? Then what would be the steps that follow? Note, I will be charging my clients for the hosting.

2. Web site migration? How to do it? I know to back up files and databases. But beyond that what is the flow or process? What are the steps to follow? Is there a cheat sheet I could Use?

3. What is the best way to learn about server administration? Any good tuts? Best Books? Note I'm using CentOs.

Lastly, is there anything else I need to focus on? I am new to this aspect but willing to put in the time and effort, I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Thank you all in advance.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

I recommend starting with our documentation at:

cPanel Documentation

It's quite extensive, and includes information about creating accounts, setting up your name servers, transferring accounts, and managing your system. Note that as a reseller, you are limited in your access to Web Host Manager. Some of the options referenced in our documentation are only available to users with root access.

Thank you.