The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where is Cpanel for windows?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by logikstudios, Jan 2, 2007.

1. logikstudios

logikstudios Well-Known Member

Hey. Where is Cpanel for windows? I swear it was going to be realesed at the end of 2006

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Nathaniel

2. logikstudios

logikstudios Well-Known Member

asp/asp.net does have its uses.

3. trhosting.net

trhosting.net Well-Known Member

This is not our problem :)
    We have to give the service of they want.

4. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

more like 2060

But seriously .. why would someone put web sites on a windows box?

5. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

well I wouldn't say that there is NO demand for windows hosting. But just because someone wants it doesn't mean you HAVE to sell it ..or MUST sell it.

6. rkemp602

rkemp602 Registered

Fortunately or unfortunately people do use windows for hosting. This is especially prevalent for users with little experience in server management but decided to use a dedicated server. Some of those users go as far as using helm on their windows box’s :( . A well built control panel like cpanel would keep those users away from messing with the base OS. :D

7. dafut

dafut Well-Known Member

My IT career is only about 8 years old. Started in the Windows world, got my MCP, blah blah. Blah.

After schooling, which I started at the age of 40, I worked for a firm where we managed over 100 NT4.0 servers running Netscape Suitespot over high-latency satellite links. Work was done through pcAnywhere and web GUI. Amusing to say the least.

Due to licensing costs, we migrated to Cobalt Raq4r's running the Qube3 OS--before Sun bought them out and ruined things. Had to learn Linux, SSH, command line, Sausalito...all things Cobalt. What a blessing.

What I learned was that when it came to troubleshooting a server, give me a Linux box any day. Tail a log, grep for info...all of the things that go with the territory. Compared to working on a Windows box, whether it be Win98 or Server 2003, I'll stick with Linux. Am I challenged? Yep, and that's the other beauty of it all--I get to learn on a daily basis, hunt forums and other sources of info for clues and fixes. What I don't have to do is try to remember "where that button is that lets me change that one setting that never gets changed" on a Windows box buried 4 levels down, 3 over and up 2...

Oh, and I still have my MCP (I think)...yet if I don't, I'm not worried. Oh, and my knowledge and understanding of "what makes a computer run" transfers to the Windows world as well...just on a different level. cPanel for Windows? Sorry...my thought immediately jumps to, "Why bother?"

8. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, cpanel is indeed developing Windows version of their product. Well, everytime I hear about cpanel on a windows server it just sent shudder up my spine. I don't know about those who is already brainwashed by microsoft but for those who still have the choice, give linux a try. You won't regret it. As a web server, nothing beats *nix. Windows is just meant for desktop. Or maybe in-house domain server. Go for windows if you have tons of money to pay for whatever bone microsoft throws in your direction.

Whatever our beloved cpanel developers are doing, PLEASE give priority to things like apache 2 and port 80 webmail!!! Please listen to your existing customers.