Where is domain home dir defined?

Ming Lu

Registered
Aug 20, 2018
k1v2k1
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I am a new host owner.

ISP helped me set up cPanel, and I could access my domain though default page which is index.html in the folder /home/ME/public_html.

Then I installed wordpress into the folder /home/ME/public_html/wordpress, and I still could access my domain by /home/ME/public_html/index.html.

After some change and play, when I try to access my domain, it always go to directory /home/ME/public_html/wordpress and try to run index.php under this folder and my URL bar shows www.MyDomain.ca/wordpress even I enter is www.MyDomain.ca

My question are:
(1) Where the domain home folder is defined? Could I change it back to /home/ME/public_html?
(2) Is it the task of ISP, cPanel, WordPress or me?
(2) Do I have a way to uninstall wordpress clearly?

Thanks

Ming Lu

Registered
Aug 20, 2018
k1v2k1
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hello, Michael:

I tried to find .htaccess file yesterday, but I could not find it within the /home/username/public_html directory.
I also searched the file in whole my file system, and only find following one:
public_html/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/akismet/.htaccess

Then I did a lot of operation, including (1) remove wordpress, (2) copy all public_html sub-folders from a backup file.

Now it seems my domain home folder is /home/username/public_html: when I enter http://www.ME.ca, it will run index.html in public_html, not the file under WordPress. That is OK, but I still have no idea about the yesterday's problem.

I read info Giving WordPress Its Own Directory. I did steps (7,8,9) in Method II (With URL change). Maybe it is the reason I was run into problem.

Thanks for your help.