The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to define system wide filters?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by fernandomm, Jul 8, 2011.

1. fernandomm

fernandomm Active Member

Hi,

Where should i define system wide exim filters without worrying about them getting overwritten by cpanel updates?

I tried /etc/cpanel_exim_system_filter but it got overwritten some nights ago.

Thanks!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

In "WHM >> Service Configuration >> Exim Configuration Editor", under the "Filters" tab, you can adjust the following option:

"System Filter File"

This option allows you to define a custom filter for use as the system filter file. Simply insert the path of your own filter and it will not be overwritten by cPanel.

Thank you.

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I did want to advise that, if you do end up creating some extra filter entries for the server-wide system filter, please first copy the cPanel filter:

Code:
    cp /etc/cpanel_exim_system_filter /etc/yournewfiltername
    Please replace yournewfiltername with the name of the filter file you will be using, then revise that filter to add the entries you need at the bottom.

If you do not copy the existing filter file and simply use a new filter that you define in WHM > Exim Configuration Editor > System Filter File, you will only get the filter rules you have in that file. The previous cPanel filters will be lacking in the file. Most times, you want to add additional filters rather than wipe all the existing server-wide ones, so copying the file and then revising it is the best idea when that's the case.

4. ojundi

ojundi Registered

I have copied cpanel_exim_system_filter to cpanel_exim_system_filter_custom and added the rules i need however, i started getting spam on other accounts that have had SpamAssassin enabled.

i noticed the following stopped working:

Attachments: Filter messages with dangerous attachments
    SpamAssassin™: Global Subject Rewrite
    SpamAssassin is no longer scoring emails

Any idea whats going on ?

Oz

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    To troubleshoot, if you revert the filter, do these then work? It might be coincidental and this issue wasn't noticed until after changing the filter, causing the issues to appear related. To properly diagnose if it is actually the change for the filter, please revert to the default one first and see if those areas work. If they do work, then we know it is the change in the filter. If they do not work, the change was coincidental and the issue unrelated to changing the filter.