Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Where to point hostnames

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by ncopeland, Jan 5, 2018.

1. ncopeland

ncopeland Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello, forgive me if this is a simple question. I have searched for over a week both on this forum, the internet and YouTube. Majority of the information I have found is outdated.

What I am trying to find out is I have my domain name hosted at GoDaddy. I created my host names (ns1 and ns2) and pointed them to my dedicated IP address. At this time I am only using one static until I know this will work before I decide to purchase a new block. That part is peachy keen. What I am not sure of is the domain name that I created the host names for. Do I need to point that domains nameservers to the ones I just created or leave it using the GoDaddy name servers. I know that seems like a fairly obvious question but, I have tried it both way with no luck and it seems like if I pointed it to itself that just creates an endless loop. I have server setup with Bind. I can access WHM and cPanel via external and internal IP. Try to access via domain name and nothing resolves. A records are created for the name servers in cPanel and for the host name. I am about to pull my hair out and my trial is about to run out before I can even get this sorted as a viable solution. Any ideas or suggestions?

-Thanks

2. Eminds

Eminds Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There are 2 ways , either you create your own name servers based on the hostname of the servers or domain that you own at godaddy, register them so they will be activated and then you can use them as the name servers for your domain at godaddy.

Or you can use godaddy's name servers , configuring the DNS records in godaddy's DNS plane itself pointing the domain to your dedicated server IP.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ncopeland

ncopeland Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    (I typed this out before I got a response and never hit sent, gotta love kids.)

UPDATE: I am behind an Untangled firewall/DHCP/DNS server. I added the hostname and domain names to the DNS in the UFW. I am now able to resolve the domain names internally but, externally outside of my network the domain names do not resolve.

Eminds, thank you for the explanation. What you have mentioned is what I explained in my OP. Now that I have some more time let me add a little more information. The domain is example.com that I am using for the host name for the server. On the server it is svr01.example..com and there is an A record created. Now on GoDadddy side for that domain I created two host names. ns1 and ns2 and pointed them to the same external static IP. As I mentioned I am just using a single IP in testing until I can verify this solution I am working on will work. So on GoDaddy I have ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com.

Now this is what I am uncertain of. Do I enter an A record on GoDaddy side and if so of what and do I use custom name servers on GoDaddy side and point them to those new host name of ns1 and ns2.example.com or do I keep those to the default GoDaddy nameservers? I have tried just about every combination under the sun. I can access it locally by the domain name just not externally outside of the network by the domain name. It is almost like something is blocking it and I have gone through the FW rules on my network but still think I don't have something configured right since everything is going to resolve internally since the DNS server is local on the UFW.

#3 ncopeland, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2018
  4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ncopeland

ncopeland Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the reply, but am I just not making sense or is people failing to read the posts that I am making which clearly states I have done all this and the question which I am asking that is still not being addressed and is unclear.

6. ncopeland

ncopeland Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Let me see if I can explain this again and with pictures this time and see if maybe it is a little clearer.

I have created this host names on Godaddy. ns1 and ns2 which makes ns1.example.com and ns2.example,com

I thing went to the name servers section of example.com and pointed the name servers to the newly created host names above. ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com

So what I am not sure of is since that is the domain.com name that is used for the host names of ns1 and ns2 does that need to be pointed to my nameservers or kept on the GoDaddy nameservers.

Continuing on, now for the WHM side. I have zone records for each name server as well as the host name.

Ok, lets explain the entries above. dommain is the test domain to make sure it is all working. So lets look at its zone records first.

hostname

So that is how it is currently setup and configured. When I go to intodns.com I get a 504 gateway error.

My initial question is do I need to point the domain name (example.com) which I created the host names (ns1 ns2) to those name servers or leave them at GoDaddy? That is what is not clear. Now naturally if I have a domain I am hosting I will point that domain to those name servers.

So is their something I am missing? I have done substantial testing and I can confidently say it is not a firewall issues, it is definitely a DNS issue.

#6 ncopeland, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2018
  7. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    All images removed, and actual domain names modified in your posts. Please don't link to images and don't share actual IPs, domain names, email addresses or anything that identifies you or your server on a public forum.

The documentation suggested above should be helpful. GoDaddy support should also be helpful for this sort of thing.

You explaining to us what you're unsure of, more clearly with images, is not helpful here.

8. ncopeland

ncopeland Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well I can clearly see cPanel doesn't want my business and I will need to take my 100+ potential licenses to Plesk.

As I mentioned that link is NOT helpful and as I already stated and I have already read it many many times in my in depth research. I added pictures to better better explain my issue since apparently people were not understanding my question since they were providing answers to an issues which I had already done and clearly explained I had done and also maybe there could be something wrong with my configuration that I missed which the pictures would better show. So I am not sure how explaining better with images is not helpful when pictures can explain a lot. Also I do not see how posting my domain name or IPs is anything secret. It is all information anyone can lookup and very easily find and I see other posts who do it constantly. People are constantly posting intodns.com which has at the same info anyways.

So again, that link DOES NOT help as I have already read it previously and I am still have issues a this is NOT a Godaddy issue as all they are is my registrar of my domain name. So I am curious what the point of this forum is for if all that is going to be said is go read the KB which I have already read PRIOR to posting just to have my intelligence insulted to go read it again.

9. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You need to set rDNS for the server hostname. Your server provider can assist you with that.
    Setting up Custom Nameservers with GoDaddy is described here:
    Set custom nameservers for domains registered with GoDaddy | Domains - GoDaddy Help US

Looking at your images, it looks to me like everything is set but you should remove the ns entries under hostnames in GoDaddy DNS management.

Assuming your nameservers are set proper on the server, the next step is to wait for DNS to propagate. That could take a few minutes up to a couple days.

We can't assist you with your firewall.

Not on this forum they don't. We remove them when we see them.

HTH!

10. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Also,
    That test domain seems to almost validate on intoDNS, I just checked. Set up the other one similar and you shoud be golden.

11. ncopeland

ncopeland Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As I explained, I am the host. This is a "test" server hosted locally and privately.

Let me provide some background information. I am 49 yrs old, will be 50 in 2 months. By trade I am a server and network administrator and I have been for 14+ years. So I have great deal of understanding and knowledge and I am not new to the game.

So with that said, I may be understanding your above statement wrong. I am completely aware how to set custom namerservers as my images clearly showed. That is not my issue. You proceeded to say "you should remove the ns entries under hostnames in GoDaddy DNS management". If I removed ns1 and ns2 hostnames i created at GoDaddy then I would have nothing to point my domains to and my namerserver would not have hostnames. So I am a little confused about that statement. Unless I am not understanding you correctly, I am not sure how I am suppose to point domains to my server without ns entries for my server.

I am completely aware and I have already acknowledged that and stated I have ruled that out through extensive testing.

So if I show you at least 10 different examples on here you agree to give me a year free for each example? I spent a great deal of time writing that post and grabbing the screen shots and you come along and butcher it when you could have asked me to revise it first. I understand you're attempting to protect my privacy but, you could learn a lot from your own advice.

On that note, and as I explained I am not new to the game and I explained this was a test server. For a matter of fact, it was on a RasPi just to test configurations before actually creating an ISO and putting it on production hardware for implementation. The IP is a test WAN IP that would be decommissioned and parked once testing is done. Also the server would be destroyed too once testing is finished and the test domain names returned to a parked status. Therefore there is and was no harm with posting the information I posted because it was not a production environment and just used for testing. It is much more useful to post information in a real life scenario rather than using example.com as people would be able to understand the environment better for troubleshooting. Otherwise you're just going, that example.com is wrong, set example.com to that example.com. Ether way, it would have been nice to ask me to edit it rather than just completely butcher my post that I put for a great deal of effort to create. Had you done that then you would have understood the IPs are just for testing and will NEVER be used for production.

Under the first category "Domain NS records" it is still showing (NO GLUE) and "DNS Parent sent Glue" is saying "The parent nameserver l.gtld-servers.net is not sending out GLUE for every nameservers listed, meaning he is sending out your nameservers host names without sending the A records of those nameservers." Even though there is A records created for those nameservers which was shown in screenshots you deleted. So I guess you will just have to take my word for them they exist. Once the domain is pointed away from GoDaddy which is the case with this test domain as it is pointed to my nameservers. Then GoDaddy has no bearing over the DNS and all DNS records are hosted on the server which the domain is pointed to. In this case my server, yet it's saying there is not an A record.

12. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi @ncopeland,

Would you mind opening a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look? Support tickets allow us to review the actual domain names and configuration files, so we should be able to quickly determine what's happening on the system. You can post the ticket number here and I'll update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.