The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to start - optimizing server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dean_l, Aug 14, 2012.

1. dean_l

dean_l Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi guys

I tired to search around for some simple instructions, but no luck. So please help me.

I ma noob with servers. Don't know much about ti at all. I have VPS server with cPanel on it. Server is 8GB/Ultimate at GoDaddy. Now lately my website traffic is growing and running server into heavy load. usually is 3.00 or 4.00, but run into 40 the other day. About week or two ago was under 2.00. I have around 20 websites all set as addon websites to one main website. Very simple Wordpress websites with few plugins, not much more. Traffic on those websites is about 20-30,000 visitors a months all together, close to 100,000 page views.

OK - questions:
    1 - Can I somehow see in cPanel what is making this load? Is it just growing traffic or some specific script or plugin? So I can know how to react and fix it.
    2 - Do you think my servers is strong enough for this traffic? Should I upgrade to Managed server with 32GB RAM and some good CPU? Of course looking not to spend too much.
    3 - I regularly optimize WordPress databases with plugin. Do I need to do anything else to keep my server is good shape? Is there some easy cPanel cleaning or maintaining action I should do?
    To note I have this VPS with WHM for root access, one main domain in cPanel and 20addon domains.

Thanks a lot good cPanel people!
    By the way I love cPanle as it's so easy to sue for noob like me:)

Cheers

Dean

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Dean,

For the first question, you'd want to run top in root SSH to see when the load is high what process(es) are running.

Next, I don't see how 8GB RAM isn't enough for 20 sites with the amount of traffic you've mentioned.

For optimization, you'd probably want to install one of the caching plugins for WordPress if you don't already have it:

WordPress › WP Super Cache « WordPress Plugins

Thanks!