The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheres my forum gone ? Help please .

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by DomB, Jun 30, 2005.

1. DomB

DomB Member

Several months ago i set up a basic free forum via http://www.websiteallies.com/ I use Cpanel to set it up and its all been working fine untill 48 hours ago when it stopped ! :confused:

http://www.websiteallies.com/support "ticket support system" does not work and there seems to be no way to contact them so I am hopeing somebody might be able to help me here. :rolleyes:

All i get when i try to use my forum ( http://lobotomy.websiteallies.com/ ) now is:

---

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database
    ---

Anybody help me please !!

Beg, Grovel......

DomB

(sorry if this post is in the wrong place to, so many posts and topics its all a bit hard to find anywhere else to put this topic)

#1 DomB, Jun 30, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  2. gpreston

gpreston Well-Known Member

Make sure MySQL or postgreSQL is running. They could have crashed and been unable to restart which is why it can't connect to the database.

3. DomB

DomB Member

Thanks for the reply, but I have no idea how you do that via Cpanel.

I cant even find the database file to make a back up of the data.

I can find all other files via file manager but the "databse"_phpb1 must be kept somewhere i cant get to so I cant even back up or try to fix it.

4. gpreston

In cPanel, click on the one option/icon called 'MySQL Databases', its blue and orange and has an outline of a dolphin. Once you click on that, scroll down to the very bottom and click on phpMyAdmin. It should bring up a new webpage where you can look at your databases and fiddle around with them (I wouldn't suggest doing any fiddling since you apparently have no idea what you are doing). Just make sure it pops up and allows you to look at stuff. If it errors or says something about not being able to connect to the database, contact the owner of the server and let them know that it looks like the Database server has crashed and/or your databases were deleted somehow and need to be restored.

5. DomB

DomB Member

I have looked at the page several times but can only find a 1kb file here nothing that looks like a phpb databse with over 30 users and 700 posts.

As for contacting anybody to get help, read my original posts.

If i hit support button in cpanel I end up back to http://www.websiteallies.com/support "ticket support system" that does nothing. and I end up in a loop of websites and cpanel and I have tryed emailing websiteallies support and all you get is the automated responce telling you to use there support ticket system that I can never find because it does not work. Thats why i end up begging for help on a forum.

And yes you are correct I know very little about SQL. PHBB, ect ect , that is why i picked a free & easy site that uses Fantastico or whatever its called and it worked fine for 6 months. and now its broken I cant fix it.

Thanks again for trying to help a NooB

6. gpreston

You won't find a file for your database in your home drive. The database is kept in a different location, usually something like /usr/local/mysql/data (or something like that), that you won't have access to. You need to contact the person who owns your server to verify that MySQL is running or that your database hasn't been deleted.

Unfortunately, it seems that Websiteallies.com's support system is broken and you are unable to contact them to verify this. Even more unfortunately is the fact that aside from contacting them, there isn't really anything you can do about it since you have no ability to restart MySQL if it has indeed crashed.

There isn't much else to say though, sorry. I tried digging around on their website and you are correct, the support section is broken and they provide no way to contact them. Doing a whois on their domain provides no results either because they use a dns proxy service to hide their identity.

It wouldn't surprise me if they really have no support staff, the entire setup is really sketchy.

7. DomB

DomB Member

Thanks for your help again.

I will keep try websiteallies.com for support but I dont expect any help.

I may just have to start a new forum somewhere else.

8. DomB

DomB Member

After a week of trying to contact www.websiteallies.com I got a short responce.

There is a mysql problem on the server, we are in the process of an
    upgrade of the server.

Thanks,
    Support Team,
    Websiteallies.com

Why it has taken them over week to come up with such a poor answer when they could have put a message on there support page (instead of a broken page) is just stupid.

I dont recomend this hosting company at all and Cpanel should withdraw there software from badly run companies like this ?.