The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which cPanel Backup?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by patchwork, May 14, 2014.

1. patchwork

patchwork Well-Known Member

Hi

Which cPanel backup system should we be using?? Legacy or the new one or both??

I've been transferring sites from an older cPanel server to a new shiny cPanel server and noticed that it always sets the backup to "Legacy on and Backups off" on the select users screen.

Should I only use the Legacy backup? I wanted to use the new backup system but its like cPanel always wants to default to Legacy. Should I just enable both so backups are always enabled for all accounts no matter what happens, new accounts, new transfers etc.... or do I need to keep visiting the backup "Select Users" page and clicking Legacy to off and backups to on.

I find it confusing having two battling systems, so should I use both?

Pete

2. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Re: Which cPanel Backup??

It's a matter of preference. Typically if something says 'legacy', there's an assumption that it will eventually be phased out and not supported. So use the new one.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I suggest using the new backup system, as it's much improved over the legacy system. After you enable it for accounts in "WHM Home » Backup » Backup Configuration", new accounts should have backups toggled on in the "Backup User Selection" interface.

Thank you.

4. cPanelPeter

cPanelPeter Technical Analyst III
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

As Vanessa stated, it's a matter of preference. However, there are presently no plans (yet) to remove the Legacy backup system. It's still present in the most recent builds. cPanel makes it a point to send out notifications well in advance of removing any particular feature or option.

5. patchwork

patchwork Well-Known Member

I was starting to think "I wonder if there is something wrong with the new backup system" because all the account transfers automatically enabled the legacy backup.

Can both backup systems be used at the same time, so some accounts use the new and some use legacy? At the moment I have legacy disabled.

Pete

6. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, both backup systems can be enabled at the same time. They are separate systems and they create separate backup files. You can enable one system on some accounts, and the other system on other accounts, and you can even enable both systems on a particular account.

7. ADITYA1243

ADITYA1243 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    its posible that both the backup system can desable at same time. you can desable to both systems on separete accounts.