The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is better and you like the best for email filtering?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by vlee, Oct 11, 2011.

1. vlee

vlee Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  2. SoftDux

SoftDux Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I can't say which is best.

But, mailscanner doesn't include any support, at all. You need to rely on their forum for support and there are many unanswered questioned.

ASSP Deluxe does include support but it's not really that effective.

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    That's not true. I've been using MailScanner and MSFE for many years. Got a problem, put in a ticket. I see very few unanswered questions in the section of the forums over there as well. It just works.

I can't comment on ASSP other than to say I've read many a thread on this forum over the years about it and issues.

4. SoftDux

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is taken from their website:

And if you look at their forums then you'll see how little support is actually offered. Nothing always "just works". For some people it may, for some it may not. The guys who's less advanced in Linux may find it more difficult to install & manage this and support. There are plenty of posts on their forums of people asking very, very basic questions and never get replies, or very vague replies.

I'm not bashing anyone here, just stating some facts to keep in mind.

5. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  6. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I did want to mention that MailScanner is not provided by cPanel, and so it should not be called cPanel MailScanner, since this indicates some type of relationship where cPanel created it and this is not the case.

Additionally, we do not recommend nor support MailScanner in any way. In fact, if issues arise with exim on a machine using it, we (at technical support) will request that it be disabled. The same goes for ASSP.

7. SoftDux

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So, what would you recommend then?

It would be seriously helpful is cPanel could actually recommend a supported solution for spam prevention, primarily since you don't support either of these 2 solutions and issues which may arise could be due to the 3rd party application. And, let's face it, it's much easier to get support for cPanel problems from the cPanel support team, than having to go forward and backward between cPanel and the 3rd party app developer in this case.

8. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We recommend and provide SpamAssassin and ClamAV antivirus options. If we don't provide it with cPanel, we aren't likely to recommend it when it makes major changes to the exim configuration such as MailScanner and ASSP happen to do. This would be like us recommending nginx or litespeed when we don't provide either and they majorly change Apache configuration settings.

9. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    That sure sounds scary, Tristan. :eek:

cPanel of course does not support Mailscanner itself, but it does assist in helping it to work with cPanel. A snip from the changelog:
    A user on these forums called it cPanel Mailscanner, ConfigServer does not call it that though, so I don't think there's any confusion on that. cPanel of course does not provide support for it, but there is a relationship all the same. The Mailscanner Front End was made for cPanel Powered Servers. Exclusively.

In all the years I have used Mailscanner and FE, I have never been asked to disable it by cPanel for anything.

To be clear, Chirpy, a well known moderator on these very forums, and ConfigServer products are indeed friends of cPanel and many cPanel Server Administrators.

This is not a cPanel endorsement, it's mine.

10. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We do not assist in helping it to work with cPanel in technical support. It is our strict policy to request it be disabled if exim ceases working. The developers have a different set of criteria they use, which includes that we will push internal cases when components like Fantastico, Softaculous, etc. cease to work with our product. We will not assist in getting those products to work in technical support, though, unless it is an actual bug / change in the product itself that caused it.