The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is Better Centos x86 or Centos x64

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nsetiono, Sep 19, 2009.

?

I will definitely choose ...

Poll closed Nov 18, 2009.
  1. Centos 5 x86

25.0%
  2. Centos 5 x64

75.0%
  1. nsetiono

nsetiono Active Member

Hey guys...

Currently i had using centos 5 x86 for my cpanel server but i just want to know which is better between x86 and x64 ?

Please give your reason why choosing x86 or x64 version :)

2. Data 1

Data 1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Use _64 only if you have greater than 4 G of ram on the server and only if the processors support 64bit. If they don't support 64bit the install will tell you first thing, which helps you to not waste time.

I would figure out if the processors support 64bit first before even installing more than 4G of ram.

Jim

3. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Are you completely insane? :D ;)

What I mean by that is that you DO NOT need to have 4 GB in order to install and gain the performance advantages of 64 bit!

For some odd reason, it is a common misconception that 64 bit is for meant only for systems greater than 4 GB of memory but the truth is that 64 bit just simply SUPPORTS servers that have greater than 4 GB of memory. In other words, on systems less than 4 GB, you have a "choice" to make and can go with either 32 bit or 64 bit but after you reach 4 GB, you MUST go with 64 bit else the full address space of your memory won't be accessible or usable by the operating system. That's it, nothing more! You do not need 4 GB of memory to be able to install or run 64 bit!

However, you do need a processor that supports 64 bit! Today though, nearly all modern processors fully support 64 bit and the performance advantages of running 64 bit are fairly significant. The software support and incompatible problems of old are long since gone. Subsequently, there is really no reason left to stay running 32 bit unless you are simply running a very old server with an obsolete processor. However, if that is the case, you might consider upgrading your server's hardware soon anyway.

Bottom line is just about everyone these days can use 64 bit and it will improve your performance significantly over running 32 bit on the same system so unless you have a really old machine, I would absolutely go with 64 bit!

CentOS 5.3 64 bit also works beautifully with Cpanel / WHM and is personally my preferred platform of choice for Cpanel based servers. :cool:

#3 Spiral, Sep 19, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  4. Data 1

Data 1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yes I am insane, legally.

Actually I believe it is 3 gig max that 32bit can use.

And I purposely get servers with 64bit processors and tons of ram. I did recently attempt a 64bit install on an old intel server with dual 2.8 Xeons to find out they were not 64bit compatible. CentOS told me immediately.

So allow me to slightly rephrase- you will certainly want _64 if you plan on using more than 4G of ram.

Back to my cell now- :eek:

#4 Data 1, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  5. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Actually 32 bit can address 4 GB ...

However 'Microsoft Windows' oddly only utilizes 3 GB ;)

(I believe that is where your confusion on 32 bit limits stems from)

Thus my earlier discussion about having "older" processors.

Wow if it was really a 2.8 Xeon and not supporting 64 bit, it must have been one of the few very early Xeons that came out during the transition period because all the Xeons after that fully support 64 bit. :D

6. Data 1

Data 1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yes it surprised me. I didn't even put it in service, ended up with ubuntu and ehcp just for a test. Then I sold it on craigslist. I only lost 20 bucks and got to play for a while.

7. koopsta

koopsta Registered

32bit can address 4GB, however that's total - including memory address space used by graphics cards etc. it isn't something to do with windows @ 3.whateverGB

8. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    32-bit operating systems can access up to 64 GB of RAM when using Physical Address Extensions ( Physical Address Extension - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).

In contrast 32-bit applications can only address 4 GB of memory space, unless specially coded to address more on PAE systems.

32-bit applications on a 64-bit operating system can still only address 4 GB of memory space, unless specially coded to address more on PAE systems. The memory model on x86-64 is an extension of PAE.

64-bit applications will often use more memory than their 32-bit equivalents, due to the basic size difference in 32-bit vs. 64-bit. This is often where the notion of "only use a 64-bit OS with 4+ GB RAM" stems from.

9. Data 1

Data 1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Notion has now relinquished itself to experience. I accept the role of grasshopper, thank you.

Bottom line is if you can afford 64bit equipment and a gob of ram do it and don't hesitate, it is a good thing and from experience CPanel plays nicely in the 64bit playground-

Jim