The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Linux should CPanel support (next)...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gator, Nov 3, 2003.

?

Which distro should CPanel (primarily) support next?

1. Red Hat Enterprise (just fork over the $'s)

90 vote(s)
    16.4%
  2. Fedora (the Red Hat spin off)

107 vote(s)
    19.5%
  3. Debian

145 vote(s)
    26.4%
  4. Gentoo

81 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. Mandrake

22 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. Slackware

36 vote(s)
    6.6%
  7. Other (please specify)

68 vote(s)
    12.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gator

gator Active Member

With the end of life of the free Red Hat Linux happening at year end and April 30th for version 9. Which distribution should CPanel go to next? The new Fedora spin off or is it time to move on?

This is just for fun. I'm curious as to what people think about the future here.

2. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

What about SuSe, err I mean Novell, err I mean SuSe?

3. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I personally think that if you are going to run a commercial server for profit which I will assume most everybody using cpanel is doing you would prefer a more stable commercial OS versus a lets throw a bunch of open source programs together and hope it works and is secure.

Now that said I currently run RH versions 5.2 through 7.2 on mutli servers. I will be upgrading to linux ES v3 and paying the small fee assoc with that.

I would like for cpanel to support redhat enterprise and would have no problem if there is an additional fee assoc with this.

4. smerkel

smerkel Member

I hope you see the humor in that statement. You do realize that cPanel is a hodge-podge of thrown-together open source programs.

Furthermore, OS stability has never been an issue (actually, the only issues I've had with Linux in general is with the kernel security lately, and that will be an issue on all Linux distrobutions, free or otherwise.). Redhat has never charged for any of their other OS's (excluding the enterprise stuff of late) and they have always been pretty solid. I'll stop now and won't even mention the stability of FreeBSD (I lied - it is solid as a fricken' rock) and it is a completely community driven OS.

Anyway, I'll leave with this: Given that the profit margins in hosting are tight enough as it is, support both the enterprise and community products.

Regards,

Steve

5. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Acutally I agree support for both would be the best way to go.

But if they are only going to use 1 I do hope its the ES

6. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Both redhat and Debian. If the solution to EOL RHL is to move to fedora then I think that is needed - just as a natural path for existing RH users.

If we're talking non-RH distro's then definitely Debian - has it's own package management and easy to upgrade. So hopefully no EOL issues like with RH.

7. beachtrader

beachtrader Active Member

SuSe or FreeBSD

8. johnchan

johnchan Active Member

Debian

Debian is FAMOUS for rock solid stability in both security AND packages. There has almost never been any stability issues with Debian "stable".

Plus their release schedule is long and stable as well... no forced ugprades every 6 or 12 months.

AND they continue releasing security patches and upgrades for older version for ages after it was released... far longer than Redhat will now (except for ES version).

So LONG STORY SHORT... if you want free Linux, go with Debian. If you want paid Linux, go with Redhat ES.

(Note: Sorry, can't speak for FreeBSD as I don't work with it. Maybe it is similar with Debian (sounds like it).)

9. Radio_Head

Radio_Head Well-Known Member

I don't want discuss which is the best os (perhaps debian or freebsd) .

I think that at this time , having red hat os on my box , the best solution to UPGRADE WITHOUT REINSTALL THE OS , is Fedora.
    I vote for Fedora since it's the only os that will require ONLY an UPGRADE from red hat 7.x 8.x 9.x .

All other OS will require an os Reinstall (also the enterprise version requires full reinstall!!) . OS REINSTALL means big downtime and big work , especially if your servers are remote.

My best solution could be a Darkorb tool/procedure to upgrade red hat to fedora remotely reducing downtime . (I have heard some tool/procedure to upgrade redhat from 7.x to 8.x or 9.x remotely for example)

Only for NEW boxes , I think the best solution could be
    FreeBSD (my first choice) or Debian (my second choice).

#9 Radio_Head, Nov 5, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2003
  10. MikeMc

MikeMc Well-Known Member

My vote goes to Fedora too.

Changing OS should be really out of discussion and cpanel should talk to us or make an announcement, post. We have to be informed by Darkorb.

11. Radio_Head

If you don't consider to change os , there is no need to use a pool , there is only 1 solution , Fedora.
    Red hat enterprise is another os , it's not an upgrade of red hat 7.x/8.x/9.x .It requires full reinstall .

#11 Radio_Head, Nov 5, 2003
  12. Radio_Head

I discussed on irc fedora channel .

A lot of fedora users reporting me that fedora is absolutely not ready for servers (consider it alpha version for servers) .
    They wrote that fedora is NOT to be considered red hat 10 , is a really different product , also if an upgrade from red hat 7.x,8.x,9 is realizable .

and on redhat site I read this

"the Fedora Project is for developers and early high-tech enthusiasts using Linux in non-critical computing environments." .

Damn ...:( !! , I think that I will need to reinstall os !!.
    Debian seems a good solution (I read good things about security and about apt , the up2date service for debian users).

Another problem is that Cpanel for debian is still beta .

#12 Radio_Head, Nov 5, 2003
  13. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Since cpanel is based around redhat, they might just stick with redhat9 and provide us with the updtes themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why Nick has been so busy lately....

14. Radio_Head

I TRULY hope in this kind of solution . Also if it could be a temporary solution (let say 1 year or 2) .

15. Radio_Head

did you read this notice on Cpanel home page ?

Special notice about cPanel for RedHat: cPanel will continue to support the current versions of RedHat Linux through the end of their lifetimes. We are currently planning to support the new RedHat Enterprise Linux and Fedora versions before the end of the year. Once we have more information, we will post it here for your convenience.

Uhm ... I prefer instead to see Cpanel Debian project finished .

a) Cpanel RedHat Enterprise project should start from the begin
    and RedHat Enterprise costs $$ .

b) Fedora seems to be really unsecure for servers .

Is it not better to focus Cpanel projects to Debian and freeBSD ? (It's only my point of view).

16. jamesbond

jamesbond Well-Known Member

My opinion as well.

And maybe some extra focus on the backup/restore scripts, since we will all be needing them :)

It's an illusion to think that 2 months from now we will have a stable cpanel release for RH ES or Fedora.

Since an OS reinstall will be necessary, it's better to have STABLE CPanel versions for only FreeBSD and Debian at the end of the year, than to have INSTABLE CPanel versions for X amount of OS's.

17. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Agreed.

18. beachtrader

beachtrader Active Member

I don't think you want to be using Fedora in the future. From what I read Fedora is the open source committment to release a version to the public under the license. RedHat is doing this but what they are going to be releasing Fedora every 3 months as their "test" code as they perfect it for the Enterprise. Once perfected the code will be release as the Enterprise software. I don't think Fedora will ever be completely out of testing... Plus, cPanel will have a tremondous amount of effort keeping up with constant changes every few months. It might be too much for them to handle--constant changes & beta software.

19. megaace

megaace Member

Are you people crazy or just glutton for punishment??? Why would you want to run a production server on an alpha operating system - Fedora? This OS is never going to get to beta or stable ever since it is just a testing site for RHEL...

Debian - once it is isntalled it will run forever.

20. DWHS.net

DWHS.net Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I think your right since a re-install for every server would be months of work, but we need a guinee pig.

Any takers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.